Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Dancing with the Stars Season 27 Finals

The season is over and I've already written about the results. But I have recapped most of the season, so I want to post the last two recaps. I'm doing the finals first and then the semi-finals.

Part One: Memorable routines

1) Alexis & Alan
Argentine Tango - Swan Lake - from week 2
I didn't see the ballet moves as much this time, and I missed that element. I enjoyed the Argentine Tango / ballet fusion the first time this routine was performed. I think they were a little nervous, but it was a solid routine. It showed off Alexis' flexibility and extension, and Alan's strength on the lifts.
Len: "lovely, lyrical, consistently good"
Bruno: "poise and confidence of the beautiful black swan, found yourself"
Carrie Ann: "expressive, but point wasn't as strong as the first time"
Scores: 9, 9, 9
My score: 9

2) Bobby & Sharna
Cha Cha - MC Hammer routine - from Trios nite
Extra dancers - ugh. And he didn't dance on the judges' table like last time, which was the exciting part. Bobby had better dances this season, so in my opinion he was going for viewer votes more than judges' scores with this performance. He cared more about pleasing the audience. On the positive side, there was recognizable Cha Cha content in this routine. On the downside, he didn't dance very well. He was over-excited, rushing, timing was off, it was sloppy. The Hammer time part he executed well, but he needed to do a lot better on the Cha Cha parts. 
Bruno: "digging it, everything is so honestly you, irresistible"
Carrie Ann: "defy the laws of ballroom and Latin dancing, but hard work and determination pays off"
Len: "put the 'ham' in hammertime, but you make it so much fun"
Scores: 8, 8, 8
My score: 7

3) Evanna & Keo
Tango - from Halloween nite
Just as good as the first time, although the extra dancers were so annoying! They got in the way more than once! The dance gathered momentum as it went, sharp and fast especially towards the end, with a dramatic finish.
Carrie Ann: "most improved by far, even better the second time"
Len: "you improved your posture and frame, mission accomplished"
Bruno: "crisp, clean, clear"
Scores: 10, 10, 10
My score: 9

4) Milo & Witney
Charleston - New York subway routine - Week 2
I don't always love the singers performing live during a competitive routine because the singer often takes the spotlight away from the dancers and the dance. But the song, "Living in New York City," was perfect, and Milo and Witney fed off the energy from Robin Thicke and the live band. I absolutely adore his youthful exuberance and how light and easy he makes the Charleston look. Milo was slinging Witney all over the place, her hair was flying, his white sneakers were bobbing - it was so fresh and fun and exhilarating - a fantastic ride!
Len: "so much confidence and maturity, didn't like it so much last time, but 100% right on the money this time"
Bruno: "even more exciting and sharper than ever, you are the real deal, destined for great things"
Carrie Ann: "he is ridiculously amazing"
Scores: 10, 10, 10
My score: 10

Round Two: Freestyle!

1) Alexis & Alan
When Donald Driver and Peta danced to a song sung live by Cowboy Joe, I didn't feel the song detracted from the performance at all. But here, I felt the cutaways to Avril lessened the impact of the dance. Also, they were too far away and hidden by the boulder in the beginning. But the overhead shots were cool. And for the most part Alexis was the star of the routine. It was a very good Contemporary dance, but not memorable enough for a freestyle in my opinion. The main thing I'll probably remember is the boulder. Still, she's a great dancer.
Len: "full of drama, song did not overpower the dance"
Bruno: "big risk, difficult technically and emotionally"
Carrie Ann: "better when you hit the floor"
Scores: 10, 10, 10
My score: 9

2) Bobby & Sharna
It was an entertaining routine. It was a big production number. But I just didn't get it. I didn't understand the big buildup - to what? Why did they stop the number? Were they building up to the Erkle move - is that what that was? And why was Tom flossing his teeth? I just didn't get the humor. If you're going to promise something big, do something big, or at least attempt something big.
Bruno: "Give it to me, perfect freestyle for a free spirit."
Carrie Ann: "I'm so confused, but you shone so brightly"
Len: "100% the people's champion, tonight my champion"
Scores: 10, 10, 10
My score: 9

3) Milo & Witney
That was a contemporary routine on steroids! Wow! They jam-packed that routine with so much adrenaline! Milo was hot, sexy (I know, he's 17!), and debonair at the same time. I loved the song, I loved the vibe, I loved the prop work, everything. Great partnering as always too. He and Witney threw every bit of themselves into that routine. Amazing!
Carrie Ann (jaw hanging open): "My mind is blown, never had a freestyle with that much content, from boy to man"
Len: "control and drama"
Bruno: "versatility, quality of movement, you're a star"
Scores: 10, 10, 10
My score: 10

4) Evanna & Keo
As Len would say, I liked the hard and soft, the light and shade of the routine. The dance went perfectly with the music - slow, then fast, slow again, then fast again. I really like how Keo has showcased Evanna in every performance this season. She is always the star of the routine, and this was no exception. She was strong, sassy, confident, and showed great musicality. I think Milo and Witney's dance would have made a slightly better final routine, but this was a showstopper too.
Len: "cherry on the cake, liked the mix"
Bruno: "bright, colorful, quirky, character, center of attention, leading lady"
Carrie Ann: "you made it your own, and you made it spectacular"
Scores: 10, 10, 10
My score: 10

As we all know, Bobby and Sharna won the mirrorball. It was an odd moment when their names were announced; people didn't know how to react. They knew they were supposed to yell and squeal and be happy, but I think a lot of people were unsettled with the outcome. I find it very ironic that as Bobby and Sharna were celebrating their win, the music in the background was "The Greatest Show." This was not the finest moment for "Dancing with the Stars."

librarianintx



No comments: