Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Dancing with the Stars Season 27 Finale - My Thoughts

Math is not subjective.
Two plus two equals four, and no one can argue with that.
If it's a sunny day, the sun is visible. No one can say, "I don't see the sun. The clouds must be covering it up." A sunny day is not subjective. There is no arguing over it.

Dancing can be subjective. A person may be capable of performing dance steps, but does that makes them a dancer? Does that make them a good dancer? "Good" is a subjective term. What appeals to one person might not appeal to others. There is more to dancing than just steps. There's rhythm, there's musicality, there's soul, there's personality. A person has to be able to "sell" a dance. Make others want to watch, want to root for you, want to enjoy what you are doing, and if it's a competition, want to vote for you and make you the winner.

There have been twenty-season seasons of Dancing with the Stars. Twenty-seven winners. I have the list of names in front of me. In my opinion, every single one of them was a worthy winner. In every season did my favorite dancer win? No. But every person who won was capable of dancing and deserved the title.

Until last night.

Let me be very clear. I have nothing but respect for Bobby Bones the person. He's a great guy and people obviously love him. Bobby didn't steal the title. He didn't cheat to win, or anything like that. My only complaint is that for the first time in the show's history, a person who is not a strong-enough dancer won the title. That's it.

Bobby is a smart guy. He knows he's not a dancer. He knows he didn't really become a dancer, even though he did improve during the season. I think he's extremely appreciative that his fans love him and voted for him, but he likely also feels guilty that he won a title that he doesn't deserve. Earlier this year I was nominated for an award by a group that I volunteer for. I attend meetings and give my input, but I don't do anything more than that. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't have time to. I don't put in extra hours or go beyond my duties as a committee member. So while I appreciate being nominated for an award, I would have felt weird if I had won, because I don't feel that I deserved to win.

So You Think It Can Dance is a show that makes it's premise and it's direction very clear: The show does not crown the *best* dancer every season. It crowns "America's *favorite* dancer." Now, the word favorite can also be subjective, because the winner isn't always the dancer that I liked best. But it is who the majority of voters liked. And that's an important point too. Most seasons, I don't vote on Dancing with the Stars. So you can call me a hypocrite if you like. Because why am I bitching when I didn't even vote? If I had voted, maybe my favorite would have won. Maybe I wouldn't be sitting here this morning lamenting the worst outcome in Dancing with the Stars history. Maybe I could have helped to change the outcome.

The final episode of this season was rather odd. There was no two hour Tuesday night results show, which was actually fine with me. That show is always awash with filler. But I felt this finale was kind of rushed. The freestyles seemed shorter. There was no final fusion dance. And while John and Tinashe got to sing, DeMarcus was part of the professional guys routine, Juan Pablo got his own dance with Cheryl, and Joe (sigh) was the centerpiece of a Bachelor production number, poor Danelle, Mary Lou, and Nancy were relegated to smiling and clapping in the skybox. I don't think Nikki was even in the ballroom. And why should she be, if she knew she was just going to be window dressing. 

So what's the answer here? How do we prevent a weak dancer from winning the show? I don't think there is an answer. The show has instituted a judges' save before, when an eliminated contestant can be brought back. But a judges' save would not have helped Juan Pablo, because they usually aren't used during a semi-final round. And if there had been a judges' save, they likely would have used it on Tinashe, who went out way too early.

The show has always run based on viewers' votes. Judges give scores and critiques, but the viewers have always determined the winner. I think we are very lucky that in twenty-six seasons, the public has rewarded a qualified candidate. Not necessarily the best every season, but worthy - I would say yes.

To Bobby I say congratulations. People love you and admire you and that is what you should focus on. You won based on viewers' votes, and that is the rule of the show. To Alexis, Evanna, Juan Pablo, and Milo - you are all terrific dancers, and any one of you deserved that mirrorball trophy. All four of you has something to be proud of:
1) Alexis got a boyfriend out of the deal.
2) Evanna fulfilled her dream of dancing, and helped Keo make it to the finals for the first time.
3) Juan Pablo knows he was the favorite of most dancing experts, and basked in the outrage at his elimination.
4) Milo is the youngest male to dance in the finals.

I'm disappointed at the outcome, but it was a terrific season, and I still love the show!

librarianintx

No comments: