Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Strange Encounter in Walmart

I was shopping in a Walmart last weekend, and a woman stopped me as I was pushing a cart down an aisle.

"Is this yours?" she asked, holding up some small item.

"No," I replied.

"Oh," she responded, "I thought it might be yours. I found it near your cart."

"It's not mine," I said.

"Okay," she continued brightly, then said quickly, "Can I give you a hug?"

"No," I answered abruptly, and maneuvered my cart away from her.

This encounter occurred less than five minutes after another woman tried to hand me a pamphlet and told me that "Jesus loves me," so I was already irritated. I hate to say it, or think it, but I believe this second woman asked if she could hug me so she could try to steal from me...check for money in my pocket, a wallet, etc. She may have had someone with her who could have snatched my phone from the shopping cart. Maybe she was actually a kind lady who was feeling the holiday spirit and wanted to be helpful and affectionate. I hate to think she had nefarious intentions. But who offers to hug a stranger in a Walmart? I'm a small female, and unfortunately I likely look vulnerable and easy to subdue. That's why, just in case, I walked away from her right away, and responded sternly to her.

Sad that people can't be trusted or believed, especially during this time of year. 

Happy Holidays!

librarianintx

No comments: