Monday, November 12, 2018

Dancing with the Stars Season 27 - Country Nite

I'm a week late on this recap because I've been a little sickly - and because I wasn't looking forward to country nite.
But I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
I especially liked the costumes in the opening number.
Yee-haw! :)

Round One: Individual dances

1) John & Emma
Jazz
The set was hokey, the song is old and rather hokey (but a classic), there were extra dancers, the humor in the dance was hokey (snapping suspenders), suspenders and neck handkerchiefs - all annoying. But the dancing with sharp, fast, and everyone was in sync. So it's hard for me to score this. The couples don't get to choose the music, and I think Emma did well with the choreography, given the song, and John's moves and musicality were good. It was just such a cheesy routine.
Len: "that's the way to open a show"
Bruno: "brought the best out of you, timing was better"
Carrie Ann: "you did your best, joy to watch you"
Scores: 8, 9, 8
My score: 8

2) Evanna & Keo
Rumba
Their chemistry was better than I expected. Sparks flew between them, which I haven't felt from them before. It was a sultry, sexy routine. Unfortunately, the moment I felt the most passion from them - in the middle of the performance - the camera cut to the singer. There was plenty of Rumba content. The only problem was, their movements were so quick and sharp that they lacked the fluidity and hip action usually seen in a Rumba. But I still enjoyed it. Evanna looked beautiful!
Bruno: "transformation - pure, proper Rumba"
Carrie Ann: "so good, true transformation, peaking at the right time"
Len: "hands were gorgeous, nothing in there that I didn't like"
Scores: 10, 10, 10
My score: 9
I'm so happy the judges didn't agree with me!

3) Juan Pablo & Cheryl
Charleston
Tough to do a country Charleston, and tough to dance in jeans (tight), and boots, but Juan Pablo makes everything look easy. He absolutely sells every dance he does with his big smile, musicality, and technique. I saw a lot of country moves, but not as much Charleston. It was a fun dance with some complicated tricks and moves from the truck to the floor.
Carrie Ann: "Is there anything you can't do? You hit everything perfectly."
Len: "great mix of Charleston and country"
Bruno: "You two are flying high, you always deliver"
Scores: 10, 10, 10
My score: 9

4) Joe & Jenna
Tango
Between the bright lights and the extra dancers, I lost Joe and Jenna more than once in the beginning. But wow, what a huge improvement! Dances in hold definitely work better for him. He was doing steps! He had a good frame! He had speed! Joe is becoming a dancer! At least he was in this routine. Good for him!
Len: "a little unstable in places"
Bruno: "invented your own technique"
Carrie Ann: "You don't give up"
Scores: 7, 7, 7
My score: 8

5) Milo & Witney
Foxtrot
A leading man at the age of 17! To me this was a perfect Foxtrot. Excellent frame, excellent footwork, excellent partnering - They were a dream out there. Subtle little nuances like his hand behind his back and a small turn of his ankle were not lost on me - I noticed. Simply perfection.
Bruno: "proper, classic Foxtrot, always 100% believable"
Carrie Ann: "you are the one to beat - Your height difference is a challenge, but you handle it beautifully"
Len: "maturity beyond your years"
Scores: 10, 9, 10
My score: 10

6) DeMarcus & Lindsay
Viennese Waltz
Another leading man. This was a beautiful routine. I loved how sensual it was. DeMarcus and Lindsay work very well together; they have to in order to make those lifts so successful. In this routine their chemistry was through the roof. It was a graceful, sophisticated performance, except unfortunately they lost their balance on the end pose. But otherwise - stunning routine. And the music worked surprisingly well with a Viennese Waltz.
Carrie Ann: "dance with full expression, dynamic and poetic"
Len: "softness, elegance, gentleness"
Bruno: "charming and irresistible, light touch, smooth, true gentleman"
Scores: 9, 9, 9
My score: 9 (almost a 10)

7) Alexis & Alan
Samba
It's about time, Alan! :)
Loads of Samba content in this routine. Alexis is beautiful and sexy no matter what she wears, and I realize this is a picky comment, but I wonder why they didn't put her in a sexier costume. The cutesy blue dress and matching hair bow looked more suited for a Jive or Jazz routine, especially with retro 50's music. Her blue ankle boots were super cute too. Anyway, the dance worked surprisingly well with the country song. It was a fast-paced, well-executed, and well-choreographed routine that looked fresh and pop / country hip.
Len: "so much great Samba content, best routine of the night"
Bruno: "match made in Samba heaven"
Carrie Ann: "just ahead of the music"
Scores: 9, 10, 10
My score: 9 (almost a 10)

8) Bobby & Sharna
Viennese Waltz
He got the best song of the night. Bobby tried, but he just didn't get the flow of the Viennese Waltz. The dance felt too choppy, too staccato. There wasn't the sweeping movement across the floor. DeMarcus' routine had the flow, the grandeur, the elegance, the sophistication. Bobby fell just short of achieving a proper Viennese Waltz.
Bruno: "top nothc for effort"
Carrie Ann: "a little tense"
Len: "relax more, but your best dance"
Scores: 8, 8, 8
My score: 7
Note: Len changed his score from a "7" to an "8" so Bobby could give him a kiss.

Round Two: Group dances

1) Team Hay Now!
Bobby & Sharna, Evanna & Keo, John & Emma, Milo & Witney
Song: "9 to 5"
I absolutely loved their enthusiasm! Even though they have a range of dance ability, they were amazingly in sync. The choreography was complicated - jumping on tables, jumping over tables, dancing in formation, plus partner dancing. I think they nailed it! Very entertaining! Yes, there was milking cows at one point, but I didn't find it hokey. It was very entertaining! Fantastic teamwork!
Len: "Hollywood to Dollywood - loved it!"
Bruno: "country triumph! Brilliant!"
Carrie Ann: "MVP Bobby! So many levels and styles!"
Scores: 10, 9, 10
My score: 10!

2) Team Joe Down
Joe & Jenna, Alexis & Alan, Juan Pablo & Cheryl, DeMarcus & Lindsay
Song: "Country Girl" by Luke Bryan
I am SO impressed by these teams! No drama, no stress, and two excellent routines! This one also had complex choreography. I was especially impressed with the part where the guys lifted the girls and danced in a circle chain. They were just a hair shy of being in sync, and the energy sagged a time or two, but overall it was a very strong routine. They worked well as a team, although the couples dancing was the most successful part of the performance. And Alexis was a standout in this number - She was smokin' hot and held her own against three professional female dancers.
Bruno: "nice and hot, Alexis was like a professional girl, number was smoking!"
Carrie Ann: "throw down the sexiness, Joe made a few mistakes, harder routine than the first"
Len: "worked your socks off"
Scores: 9, 8, 9
My score: 9

In jeopardy:
John & Emma
DeMarcus & Lindsay
Evanna & Keo

This was a double elimination.
Evanna & Keo were safe.

I feel bad for John because the competition meant so much to him.
I will miss the idea of a lift-tastic freestyle from DeMarcus and Lindsay if they had make it to the finale, which admittedly was a rather long shot.

librarianintx


No comments: