Monday, November 12, 2018

30 Days of Gratefulness - Day 11 - holiday

What holiday am I most grateful for?

I have a hard time with holidays, because I have several people that I am very close to, and I rarely get to spend a holiday with all of them. If I go to Houston for a holiday, then I don't get to spend it with my roommate. If I'm in Houston, I might spend a holiday with my family, but not get to see my close friends that are also in Houston. I rarely get to spend time with everyone at the same time.

So rather than decide on one specific holiday, I'll say that the time around Hanukkah and Christmas is my favorite time of the year. I get to spend time and exchange gifts with my roommate. Then I go to Houston on on my mom's birthday, December 21st, and spend a few days each with my family and with my close friends. So I'm not with everyone all at once, but I think I get quality time with the people in my life during the holidays. I rarely get to see my nieces during the year, so any time with them is precious. We have meals at my sister and brother-in-law's house, play games, watch movies, discuss television shows, etc. Occasionally we go to events at the science or art museums, or go to the mall, or out to eat. My sister and mom make potato latkes at least once during the holidays, and my mom bakes her famous sugar cookies.

Thanksgiving is also a favorite holiday of mine, because the food is so good, and because it is another opportunity to visit with my nieces. Mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce....YUM!! I can't wait! :)

librarianintx

No comments: