Thursday, November 15, 2018

30 Days of Gratefulness - Day 14 - sight

What sight am I grateful for?

I work for a library that serves individuals with various levels of vision loss - from low vision to total blindness.

I have seen how people with vision impairments struggle to get around. But I have also seen how mobility training, low cost aids, and assistive technology can greatly improve the lives of people with vision loss. Individuals with vision impairments can lead independent, fulfilling lives, have jobs, raise children, etc.

So I do not take my sight for granted. I revel in beautiful sunrises and sunsets, clear blue skies, twinkling stars, butterflies, colorful dresses, and happy faces.

Since my inner ear doesn't work well, I am especially grateful for my sight, as it is one of our four  systems of balance. 

Recently I discovered my glasses were made incorrectly, and that's why I was struggling to see properly. I had to put my face right up to the computer to see the screen. When I was trying to read my phone, words and numbers were blurry. I was frustrated and worried that my eyesight was deteriorating. Now the prescription has been corrected, and I am seeing better, but I'm still getting accustomed to wearing progressive lenses.

I'm endeavoring to wear my sunglasses and maintain proper nutrition to have the best chance of preserving my sight.

librarianintx

No comments: