Wednesday, November 07, 2018

30 Days of Gratefulness - Day 6 - Nature

I was feeling poorly yesterday, so I have to catch up...

What in nature am I grateful for?

I'm not a big nature person. I don't spend a lot of time outdoors. I sunburn easily. Also, I'm sensitive to both heat and cold. Around 75 degrees with little wind is perfect weather for me. But you rarely get the kind of weather you want. Plus I can't walk far, struggle with inclines and uneven surfaces, I don't have reliable transportation, blah blah. So for all these reasons, I don't get out in nature much.

But that doesn't mean I dislike nature. I enjoy having picnics, especially if I can sit somewhere in the shade. Going to the zoo is also a favorite thing to do, although I don't get to very often. For a few weeks in the spring parts of Texas are awash in wildflowers, and I love going for a drive in the Hill Country and stopping to take pictures in the flowers. 

For me the very best thing about nature is the butterfly. I became a butterfly enthusiast a few years ago. The Houston Museum of Natural Science features the Cockrell Butterfly Center - I would go there every day if I could. I've also visited butterfly centers at Moody Gardens in Galveston and the zoo in San Antonio. Butterflies are stunningly beautiful creatures. I'm not a photographer by any means, but I've taken some good pictures at Cockrell.

The worst thing about nature? I have two: cockroaches, and tornadoes. I feel like I am slightly more in control of my cockroach phobia. My tornado phobia - not so much.

But let's get back to and end with the best thing about nature - butterflies!

librarianintx

No comments: