Wednesday, November 14, 2018

30 Days of Gratefulness - Day 13 - abilities

What abilities am I grateful for?

I am now 50 years old, and I have a neuromuscular disease.
So I am literally grateful for every ability I have - walking, using my arms, breathing, swallowing, everything.
Unfortunately, I also worry nearly ever day about losing the abilities that I have, and what I'm going to do when that happens.
But I try to remind myself that it hasn't happened yet, and hopefully it won't.

Balance is an ability that could be the first to go for me, and if I fall that could cause a domino pattern of losing other abilities. If I fall I might break a hip or a leg, which could lead to a period of reduced mobility, which could make me susceptible to respiratory problems...
But again, I'm worrying about something that might never happen.

I had a virus or cold about two weeks ago, and I'm still trying to get back to baseline. Yesterday about 7 pm I was feeling weak and worn out, but I had chores I needed to do. I didn't know how I was going to get them done, given how I was feeling. But I pulled myself together and I got everything accomplished. I tried to remind myself that I do that too often - I get worried that I can't do something, and then I get it done.

I do not take any physical ability I have for granted.

Dina 

No comments: