Monday, September 19, 2016

The Emmy's

I had a few reasons to cheer this year, and as usual, a few reasons to be pissed off. Here are my highs and lows from the Emmy's:

Highs:
Kate McKinnon wins best supporting actress in a comedy for "Saturday Night Live."
I LOVE Kate McKinnon! She is freakin' hilarious! SO happy for her!

"The People vs OJ Simpson Story" cleans up in the miniseries category.
The hard part was that several of the actors were nominated in the same categories, so that made it tough. Sterling K. Brown was masterful in his role as Christopher Darden, and deserved the win for best supporting actor, but David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian and John Travolta as Robert Shapiro were brilliant as well. Courtney B. Vance was amazing as Johnnie Cochran, and I'm so glad he got the lead actor award, but that left out Cuba Gooding Jr. as OJ. I was so excited that Sarah Paulson won lead actress for her role as Marcia Clark. That miniseries was excellent, although I did feel a twinge of regret that it beat the remake of "Roots."

Although I've only seen the first seasons of these shows, three cheers for Jeffrey Tambor winning lead actor in a comedy again for his role as Maura Pfefferman in  "Transparent," and Rami Malek as Elliot accepting his first Emmy for lead actor in a drama for "Mr. Robot."

And woo hoo to "Game to Thrones" for winning best writing, directing, and best drama!

Lows
Some of my lows were not complete downsides. While I was very disappointed that all three Game of Thrones actresses lost in the supporting actress category (Maisie Williams as Aria, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys, and Lena Headey as Cersei), I WAS happy that Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess won again for "Downton Abbey."

But there was no joy in the best supporting actor in a drama category for me. Both "Game of Thrones" actors, Kit Harrington as John Snow, and previous winner Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, were shut out.

Finally, the lead actress in a drama category was a huge disappointment for me. Viola Davis as Annalise Keating in "How to Get Away With Murder" and Taraji P. Henson as Cookie Lyon in "Empire" both lost, and the incredible Kerry Washington, who plays Olivia Pope in "Scandal," was once again not nominated, which is a travesty.

I didn't pay that much attention to the fashion this year, but one duo who presented stood out to me. Tina Fey looked so hot in a simple green gown, but her cohort, Amy Poehler, wore a dress in a different shade of green that looked more like a tablecloth. I think she will get skewered on "Fashion Police."

librarianintx

No comments: