Monday, September 12, 2016

Dancing with the Stars Season 23 Episode 1 Part 2

Vanilla Ice and Whitney
If you have read my recaps before, you know what's coming...
NO EXTRA DANCERS!
This is not the finale, and this was not his freestyle routine. Its not fair to the other contestants when a dancer is surrounded by professional dancers.
Okay. Rant over.
Obviously the song made this more of a hip hop routine rather than a cha cha. I didn't see many cha cha moves. It was fun, but overall just okay. The crowd loved it. As expected, Len said there wasn't enough cha cha. Actually, Julianne and Bruno said the same thing. The scores were a bit all over the place: a 5, a 6, and two 7's.

Jana Kramer and Gleb
Can you say CHEMISTRY!? Holy smokes! Pass the cigarettes! That was a hot Viennese Waltz. Sexy, steamy...content, steps, who cares? That was what I wanted to see from Amber and Maks. Jana and Gleb have IT!. The phones will light up for that dance. Goodness. Her husband must be kicking himself. I agree with Bruno...bring on the rumba next week! Of course Len was cranky about it, but I don't think anyone else was. This one will be on rewind for me. Except for Bruno, the scores were too low. He gave them an 8. They also got a 7 and two 6's. Party poopers.

JT Austin and Jenna
Wow, Jenna has been doing double duty; she was also on So You Think You Can Dance this summer. She and JT were born in the same year; how precious. Their jive was young and unfortunately low on jive content. I didn't see hardly any kicks or flicks. The judges agreed and said they were off on their timing too. The cute as a button pair got two 5's and two 6's.

Rick Perry and Emma
(Sorry, I can't help myself.Why is he on my favorite show? Jeez.)
OMG, he said it himself: "What a dumbass." Quote of the night!
Poor poor Emma. Has she ever had a decent partner? No, and her streak continues. The Texas-themed cha cha was a disaster. So was the costume. I'll shut up now. No, I won't. Pathetic. He pretty much dropped her at the end. Okay. Now I'm done. He got all 5's. Please go home Rick, so I can fully enjoy my show.

Terra and Sasha
One of the things I love most about Dancing with the Stars is when they give people with differing abilities the opportunity to dance. So I am very happy that Terra is on this show. Unfortunately, she will have to improve greatly to stay on the show. She looked great, and her personality is fantastic. But her jive was nonexistent. I saw no kicks or flicks. The height difference will continue to hamper them. I hoped she would knock my socks off, but sadly, she didn't. She's not necessarily a bad dancer, but I did not think this was a good jive.Wow, the judges saw a much better dance than I did. I'm still rooting for her though. The judges gave her three 6's and a 7.

Ryan Lochte and Cheryl
He did not get booed. That was nice of the audience. Not sure that he deserves people being so nice. But anyway, on to the foxtrot. Oh wow, wait, what the hell?!?! Someone or more than one person staged a protest or something? I don't know what happened. Crazy stuff! Live show, people. Everyone looked shaken. I'm not a Ryan fan, but whatever happened should not have happened. This show is about dancing. Ryan got all 6's. My take on his dancing: eh. It was just a'right.

Laurie Hernandez and Val
Thank goodness the night ended on a high note. Laurie is young, fresh, and she can cha cha! She looked sexy and her moves were on point. Len thought it was a terrific dance, and I concur. For me, this was the second best dance of the night, in terms of technique at least. She got three 8's and one 7 from the judges. I think that was the highest score of the night.

My top three:
Babyface
Laurie
Jana - for the caliente factor

I hope we find out what happened after Ryan danced. Inquiring minds want to know.

librarianintx

No comments: