Friday, September 09, 2016

Regret

I was talking to a friend the other day about regret. Specifically I was saying that I don't think anyone should regret anything in his/her life. Who you are friends with, who you are romantically involved with, the jobs you have, the hobbies you enjoy - all change and evolve as you go through life. That doesn't mean that you should regret the time, money, energy you spent liking someone or something. Unfortunately its easy to say, "Oh, I spent five years with that person, and he/she broke my heart. What a waste!" Or, "I was such a huge fan of this band, and now I'm into a totally different style of music. I wasted so much money on their concerts and merchandise." But all of these experiences help shape you, make you the person that you are. Regret is an emotional wasteland. There is no benefit in regret. Don't wallow in it. Instead, try to focus on the good times, how happy and excited the person or thing made you feel. Think about the experiences you had, the memories you made, what you learned from the relationship or hobby or job. Everything you do in life has meaning and purpose. Perspective is key.

librarianintx

No comments: