Friday, September 02, 2016

SYTYCD Next Generation

Monday is the performance finale of So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation. I wasn't going to watch at all this season. I though the idea of child dancers performing with the All Stars was a bad idea. But it has been a very entertaining season. These kids are TALENTED! And surprisingly humble. We haven't had to deal with stage parents, or unnecessary drama. The eliminations have not been painless by any means; there have been a lot of tears. But Cat, the judges, the choreographers, and the All Stars have been very sensitive to the fact that they are working with 8 - 13 year old kids. The rehearsals look like a lot of fun. The critiques have been mostly glowing. And the eliminations have been mercifully quick, with a lot of praise for the dancers who fall short of the finale.

I think all of the kids are very good, and every single one of them could have been in the finale, and I would understand why. Having said that, however, the final four are not the ones I would have personally chosen. It all comes down to what style of dance you prefer. Tap is my least favorite style of dance. But that doesn't mean that Emma isn't great, or doesn't deserve to be in the finale. JT is super adorable, and I have loved his performances with Robert. But is he a better dancer than Tahani, or Ruby? But this has always been the premise of SYTYCD, and I absolutely agree with it: "The search is for America's FAVORITE dancer." Not necessarily America's BEST dancer. The winner will be the young person that the majority of the people who vote liked the best.

Who was my favorite this season? Impossible to say. I honestly do like them all, and I'll be pleased with whoever wins. They all have strengths, and they all deserve to have long, successful careers. As I've said before, I was thrilled to have THREE ballroom dancers this season, and I think they were all terrific. I also really enjoyed watching Tahani. There was wonderful interaction with all the pairings of kids and All Stars: laughter, tears, hard work, learning together, sharing their gifts with the audience and with each other. They have all made friends for life for sure. 

librarianintx

No comments: