Monday, September 12, 2016

Dancing with the Stars Season 23 Episode 1 Part 1

HERE WE GO!
MY FAVORITE SHOW IS BACK!
CAN YOU TELL HOW EXCITED I AM?

Ok. No more shouting. But I am excited!

And here is my first attempt at recaping during the episode. Please excuse any typos that I don't catch.

First up:
Marilu Henner and Derek
Marilu is in her 60's, but she doesn't look it, and she doesn't dance like it. She did a very good job with the jive. She had good energy and excitement. She didn't totally keep up with Derek, but she was VERY close. Good job!
The judges were impressed too. She got three 7's and a 6 from Julianne.

James Hinchcliffe and Sharna
He said he's not a dancer, but I think he coped well with the foxtrot. Often the foxtrot is a good dance for the male contestants who think they can't dance. The judges were very impressed. Julianne called him "graceful and fluid." He got great scores: three 8's, and once again Julianne was the low paddle with a 7. I thought it was a beautiful dance. I think James has more dancing ability than he thinks he does. And of course it helps that he has the beautiful and supremely talented Sharna as his partner.

Calvin Johnson and Lindsey
Certainly not the best football player they've had on DWTS, but it was an entertaining performance. He had no hip action in this cha cha,, and Lindsey did most of the work, but he looked happy and had a big grin on his face, so it was enjoyable. I think there is a possibility for some improvement. He is by no means the worst dancer to be on this show. Calvin got two 7's and two 6's.

I just have to say again how much I adore Tom and Erin.

Maureen McCormick and Artem
How sweet is Artem? OMG. And oh my gosh, Maureen is 60? Wow. Anyway, I digress. On to the dance. It was obvious Maureen was mega nervous, and trying so hard to keep her posture. She had a few stumbles, and her nervousness detracted from the dance. But it was still lovely, and you can't help but root for her. I hope she can get her anxiety under control. How cute when Mrs. Brady came over to give her a hug!The judges were encouraging, but her scores were low, two 6's and two 5's. Maureen was still glowing, so I hope she wasn't discouraged.

Babyface and Allison
That was a pretty big production number for a first dance. Babyface showed great musicality, rhythm, and leading man appeal in this foxtrot. His partnering skills look very strong. I had a little trouble with the lighting on this performance, or maybe it was my television. But I think he did a GREAT job. Performance of the night so far.I thought Len and Julianne were a little critical, and overall the scores were lower than I expected: two 7's and two 6's. I thought his scores would be higher. Mmmm....

Amber Rose and Maks
I love the song, and I thought the beginning of the foxtrot was super hot. Once they emerged from the shadow, I was less impressed. I thought it was kind of boring. Amber and Maks strike me as the couple that will light the ballroom on fire, and I thought that was going to happen with this dance. But it was just okay. I have hope for future fireworks though. I think the judges see her potential as well. Okay, so if she hates her costume, why did they have her wear it? I'm shaking my head. The judges gave her 6's across the board.

end of part 1

librarianintx






No comments: