Monday, September 19, 2016

Dancing with the Stars Season 23 Episode 2 Part 1

Here we are again Dancing with the Stars fans! Let's see who has improved from the season premiere last week! I am logged in five minutes early, and ready to recap!

Of course they open the show with the Ryan Lochte controversy, but only for a second. I can imagine how tight the security is in the ballroom tonight.

It's theme song night!

First up, Maureen McCormick and Artem:
Quickstep
Yeah for the Mrs. Brady cameo!
Boo for the extra dancers. Sigh.
My comments: Quickstep is a tough one. And the dance was choppy at times. But I thought Maureen was much improved from last week. She looked much less nervous, and she looked like she was having fun. I give her an A+ for effort and for appearing to conquer her nerves. Good job Marcia! The costumes were all over the place, though. I didn't get the costumes. Anyway, the judges agreed with me on the performance. Maureen got two 6's and two 7's, but the comments were way more positive than the scores.

Jana Kramer and Gleb
Tango
Jana was injured during rehearsals, so it was hard not to think about that as I watched the performance. I thought they did well, but not as good as last week. I still think she can be a contender though. The sexiness was still there, and I thought her form was basically good, but there may have been a stumble or two. The judges noticed her pain, but thought she was a trooper to get through the routine. The scores were a bit of a surprise. Len gave them an 8! They got a 7 from everyone else.

Rick Perry and Emma
Quickstep
Before they dance, can I tell you what I want to do with that pitchfork?
Anyway,,,
One word to describe the dance: Hokey. The song is hokey. His facial expressions were mega hokey. I don't know what Emma's costume was. Ellie Mae Clampett's dressing gown? This was a quickstep, not a dance at a hoedown. But if I'm being completely honest, it wasn't as much of a trainwreck as I expected. It wasn't good. But it wasn't awful. His wife looked like she had suffered an injury when he skipped over to kiss her. Carrie Ann and Len gave him a better critique than I expected. "I'm dancing for the veterans." Oh, please. What did you do for the veterans when you were governor of Texas? What a way to pander for votes. Rick got two "6's" and two "5's."

Calvin Johnson Jr. and Lindsay
Foxtrot
It was a cute routine, and Calvin showed a lot of personality. Overall, I thought he was better than last week, and his form was pretty good, but he seemed to get lazy at the end of the routine. There was a nice flow that seemed to stop about ten seconds before the end of the dance. Strange. The judges were very happy with this performance. Calvin earned "7's" across the board and he got to meet Jaleel White!

Amber Rose and Maks
Viennese Waltz
Once again I had high hopes. I love the Game of Thrones theme, and I want to love Amber and Maks together. Unfortunately, I was disappointed again. She didn't learn from what Bruno told her last week about connecting with her partner. I didn't feel any passion, any fire coming from them. Amber was doing the steps and that was it. It didn't move me at all. And why do they have her in such boring costumes? She's a model, and she's often half naked on the red carpet. I know this is a family show, but she doesn't have to be so covered up. Maks absolutely looked the part, but Amber did not.  I'm sorry, but I was bored. Julianne disagreed with me; she saw a connection that I didn't see. Still, the scores looked like what I would given her: all "6's."

JT Austin and Jenna
Cha Cha
Eh. It was okay. There were extra dancers. I feel like Jenna did most of the work. I didn't see a lot of hip action. I think she may have hit him in the face at one point. It was just a'right for me. I don't have a lot to say. Both Carrie Ann and Len mentioned his lack of timing. Julianne too. Young JT got all "6's." I do have one more thing to say. Who is designing these costumes tonight? Poor Jenna had black fringe in her vajayjay area. Very unfortunate. I just had to mention that.

Vanilla Ice and Whitney
Foxtrot
Oh my goodness, they sure did channel the characters of Peg and Al Bundy! I loved that aspect of the routine. I also thought it was cute that he was lip synching with the song. The dance was almost good, just a little too stiff and slow. I wanted more dancing, and I thought it would be fun to incorporate the love / hate relationship between Peg and Al. But I enjoyed it. The judges were basically encouraging, especially Len. He got "7's" from the guys and "6's" from the girls.

Terra Jole and Sasha
Quickstep
I thought it was very good! They had to move slightly slower than a typical quickstep because of her little feet. But it looked like a quickstep. Sasha did not scrimp on the steps or the elements of the dance. I was impressed, and saw a lot of improvement from last week. Good job Terra! I think you conquered a very difficult dance!
"I was a universal Dick." Sasha
You walked right into that one, Tom! Hilarious!!
Great comments from the judges! Julianne said it was her favorite dance of the night. Bruno said it was the most complete quickstep of the night. Wow! So happy for her! She got three "8's" and a "7" from Len.

End of Part 1










No comments: