Friday, September 09, 2016

Speechless Episode 1

The premiere episode is already available online, so I watched it. While I thought it was pretty heavy-handed and awkward at times, I'm willing to give it a chance. The fact that a major network has a comedy with a disabled character played by a disabled actor is big and important and I want to support this show.
But there was quite a bit of the show that left me shaking my head. Some of it was just so over the top. Maybe it was supposed to be. Maybe it was hyperbole. The school that was trying so hard to be inclusive had the only ramp at the back of the school by the dumpster? The only black guy at the school used the word "crippled"? The school had a planetarium?  The girl who was the lone member of the astronomy club is dating a football player? Ok, cool in a way, but I'm sorry, not very realistic. And if she's that smart, why is she dating a jerk? If they're dating. She said "friend."
But I digress.
The technology aspect was a little behind the times. Why does JJ need an aide to speak for him? Why doesn't he get a speaking AAC (communication device)? Because the family can't afford it? That would make sense. They're not cheap. But there is funding available. Maybe this will be addressed in a later episode. Even if he has a talking AAC device, he would likely still need an aide for assistance,  so that would still fit with the storyline.
Am I being nitpicky?
I don't think I'm being nitpicky on this point. The family needed a disabled parking placard for their van. I know the scene was supposed to be funny, but that bothered me. They deserved to get a ticket, disabled son and all. The woman in the car was portrayed as both meddling and trying to out-disable the kid in the wheelchair, but she was actually right to call them out. It was a poor lesson that Maya was teaching JJ, that being in a chair allowed him to ignore the law.
Still, a lot of it did work for me. Minnie Driver is great as Maya, the Advocate Mom from Hell. I especially like Mason Cook as the younger son, Ray. I think the portrayal of a boy dealing with a sibling with a disability, adjusting to yet another new school, etc, was spot on. He could be the breakout star of the show. I also enjoyed John Ross Bowie as the dad, Jimmie.
I think there's room for improvement. But I WAS entertained. So in that respect, "Speechless" was a success.
librarianintx

No comments: