Friday, September 02, 2016

Consistency

It felt so good to walk out the door this morning, heading out of town after work for a five day vacation, to know that I accomplished just about everything I wanted to before I left. Sure, I was putting clean laundry away five minutes before ride arrived, but I got it done. Did I take of everything? No, but darn close. And I'm okay with that.

Still, I struggle so much with consistency, and I don't like that about myself. What's the problem? Do I set unrealistic goals for myself? I don't think so. Why is it so hard for me to do the things that I want to do every day? Why can't I get in two servings of fruit? Why don't I read at least twenty pages of a book? Why is is so hard for me to blog every day? To journal? Some days I accomplish what I want to, the goals that I set for myself, and I'm so happy when I do. But then the next day, I fall short, and then I'm upset with myself. Maybe my goals should just be: "Try to do "X" every day." Try to drink at least one glass of water. Attempt to exercise. Make an effort to do a journal entry. But don't beat myself up if it doesn't happen.

Easier said than done.

My reasons for coming up short are several. Fear of success. Fear of failure. Fatigue. Difficulty concentrating. Not enough hours in the day. Spending too much time worrying. Trying to do too much. One task taking much longer than expected. But usually nothing I'm trying to do takes me as long to accomplish as I think it will. Maybe I just have too many goals to achieve in one day.

But I keep plugging away. I had two servings of fruit yesterday. I doubt I'll have any today. I didn't have any water yesterday, but maybe today. I think I read a few pages yesterday; I'll likely have more time today. I blogged yesterday AND today! Hey! A two day streak!

Maybe consistency just isn't in the cards for me. Maybe I need to be okay with, "Do
'X' as often as I can." Celebrate on the days that I achieve my goals, and on the days I don't, shrug, smile, and say, "I'll try again tomorrow."

librarianintx

No comments: