Monday, September 19, 2016

My Biggest Pet Peeve

Luckily, I don't have many. As I get older, I will likely have more.

I have probably mentioned this previously. I witnessed it again yesterday, and it always frustrates me. Because I ride the bus so much, it's a frequent irritation. It happens both on Greyhound and Megabus.

The pet peeve: People put their belongings on the seat next to them, so riders entering the bus have to ask if the seat is taken.

Hands down, these people are being rude. Especially yesterday, it was obvious that the bus would be full. This was the second stop on the way back to Austin, so there were people on the bus that had boarded at the downtown location. The line to get on the bus at Katy Mills Mall stretched from the parking lot almost to the door of the mall. Anyone who thought they were going to get two seats to themselves was delusional. So why do they do it? Why do they continue to leave their stuff on the seat, which makes a person entering the bus have to ask if the seat is available. You did not pay for two seats, rude people. That seat next to you is not your luggage compartment; it is a seat for a paying customer. Why do you think it's okay to let someone have to beg for the opportunity to sit next to you?

I have seen people actually refuse to let someone sit next to them. It happened to me once on the Greyhound. An older lady would not move her bag. She claimed that she didn't speak English. And maybe she didn't. But regardless, she should know the rules. I was mad and almost moved her bag, but I decided not to get into it with her. The driver didn't go to bat for me. So I just sat elsewhere. But it still bothers me when I think about that. One time on Megabus I saw a young girl stand in the aisle for a few minutes while an older woman continued talking on her cell phone, her bag in the seat next to her. I guess the young girl thought if she stood there long enough, the woman would free up the seat. It didn't work. The woman continued to ignore her. I wanted to tell the driver what was happening, but I didn't. Finally the young girl gave up and took another seat. That time, the woman was rewarded for her bad behavior. The bus was not full, and she got the two seats to herself. Even when the Megabus baggage guy walks through the bus and announces loudly, "This will be a full bus! Everyone needs to put their belongings on the floor under their seat," some people still don't do it. That makes me so mad. 

Usually in Austin I am the first person on the bus. I always choose my seat, get settled, and leave the seat next to me clear. It is common courtesy. I have no right to that seat. I have been irritated lately that sometimes the floor of the bus is dirty or wet, and I have no idea what got spilled. I don't want to put my stuff there. So I try to choose a seat on the left side of the bus, where there is a small step up. If I have to sit on the right side, then I keep what I can in my lap. It's not a great situation, but I make do.

Riders need to have more respect for their fellow passengers. Don't be so selfish. Put your stuff under your seat, or keep it in your lap. If someone asks if the seat next to you is available, don't look irritated or put out. Everyone on that bus paid for a seat. You don't necessarily have to be friendly and chatty, but you do need to be courteous.

librarianintx

No comments: