Monday, April 06, 2020

"Living Under the Threat" - Work 4/6/20

I am grateful for my job.
Every. Single. Day.
I am grateful to be able to work.

Now, more than ever, I am grateful for my job.
Not only for the obvious financial security.
But because working gives me a focus.
It gives me an escape from worry and fear of both what is happening now and what might lie ahead.
The work that I do is intended to help people.

And that is my primary goal these days with my job - finding resources to help people, especially senior citizens and people with disabilities, during this pandemic.
A variety of resources, including, but not limited to:
Sources for obtaining food
Mental health information
Guides for various disabilities and health conditions, from Alzheimer's to neuromuscular disorders
Specific resources for people with vision or hearing impairments
Information on scams and fraud
Virtual resources that provide entertainment, education, personal enrichment, and support

The fact that so many resources are now available for free on the Internet is terrific. The developing landscape of tele-health is something that has been needed in this country for years. However, because of the digital divide, many people do not have access to these resources. Much more needs to be done in this area, both now, and after this crisis is over.

I'm home, but my days are busy and productive, with hours of research and webinars that provide helpful information. Every new resource is a gem that I am doing my best to share with others. Some days are stressful - information overload and not enough time to process, organize, and disseminate it. But it's stress I gratefully accept - I want to rise to the challenge.

I am a librarian, specifically an information and referral coordinator.
It's what I do.
I live it and breathe it every day.

librarianintx


No comments: