Saturday, April 04, 2020

Living Under the Threat 4/4/20

I've written a few blogs since the pandemic began, not as much as I should. And I can't promise I'll feel like or have time to write every day. But here is the first entry of "Living Under the Threat."

Today was the first day that I was able to concentrate on something other than work. I watched the Netflix limited series "Unorthodox," including the making of the series. It was very good. Now of course I want to read the book that the show was based on. But I'm already trying to read three books, so I'm going to wait. It felt good to be able to concentrate on something entertainment-oriented. I also started another Netflix series: "Cheer."

But then this evening I lost focus on anything. All of a sudden it was after 8 pm and I had not eaten dinner, done my exercises, or did the load of laundry I wanted to do. It was a chilly, rainy day, and I sat on my ass most of the day, so I needed to get some exercise. So I did what I needed to do. In the span of three hours I ate dinner, washed dishes, did my balance exercises, laundered my jeans and towel, and pedaled for fifteen minutes. I felt better having accomplished all of that.

Late this afternoon a woman that I corresponded with through the Next Door app dropped off four cloth masks for me. I had ordered some masks through Etsy but they won't arrive until sometime next week, so I was hoping to find someone in the neighborhood who was making some, and I did. I'm not the most trusting of people, and I've been nervous about reaching out to strangers, but all went well with this transaction. She was wearing a mask and she only stayed long enough to hand me the plastic bag as I stood on my patio, trying not to get close to her.

Do I think wearing a mask is a good idea? I'm conflicted about it. I'm not convinced that cloth masks will help much, honestly. But the government is suggesting that everyone out in public should wear one. The city of Laredo, Texas is actually fining anyone who is caught outside without wearing a mask. So I want to have some in case Austin goes to that extreme. I'm glad I was able to find some that were reasonably priced, but I have no idea what the quality is. The handmade ones seem well-made and sturdy, but again, how much protection will they actually provide? And will people be able to wear them without adjusting them and touching their face, which will put them more at risk?

I had nowhere to go, nowhere to be, but I still took a shower, dressed, I even put on earrings. Since it was a chilly day, I wore my new lavender hoodie that I received as a birthday gift. The hoodie fits me perfectly. It made me happy to wear it. You have to do things that make you happy. Even during a pandemic.

A month ago today I went to San Antonio with friends. We were part of a tour at the Museum of Art. We stood in line to order lunch at the Cove. We walked around Buc-ees, which is always bustling. Were we nervous about going? I was, a little. But I went anyway. Looking back, we should not have made the trip. We put ourselves at risk. Still, I'm glad we have those memories. What a difference a month makes. Being close to other people. Eating in a restaurant. Touching things. Being in a different city. Who knew that just one month later, so much in our lives has changed.

librarianintx

No comments: