Tuesday, April 07, 2020

"Living Under the Threat" - Perks - 4/7/20

I am not in the least making light of this pandemic.
I understand how serious a situation we are in.
I wouldn't be sitting in my apartment if I didn't.

But I have to be honest and say there are good things for me about this time at home.

The main bonus point is no commute.
In the old days (meaning less than a month ago), I would get up at 5:45 am, be ready to leave an hour later, and get home around 4 pm. That was on a regular day. If it was grocery day, or physical therapy day, or a doctor appointment, I might not get home until 5:30 or 6. I know other people have longer days than that. But that is a lot for me.

Now I can roll out of bed by 7 and be at my computer, ready to work, showered and dressed, by 8. I may be tired from the anxiety of our situation, or by the hours of searching for resources, but I'm not worn out by my commute, or any extra activities.

Being at home has given me more time to do things to take care of myself. I can now take an extra few minutes in the shower to use medicated shampoo on my itchy scalp. I make sure I eat at least one fruit and one vegetable each day. I can eat more often if I want to. I don't have to worry about long rides so I can drink as much water as I want. I have more time and energy to exercise too. And I'm taking care of my mental health by writing more. My days are still busy, but not nearly as hectic or as tiring. The routine is easier.

Working from home has many benefits for me. But of course I miss the interaction with my co-workers. And right now we can't serve our library patrons as well as we normally would, and we all feel bad about that. We care and worry about them.

I don't have to deal with irritating para-transit passengers, or long rides and frustrating wait times. I don't have to be nervous about the unpredictable library elevators. I don't have to deal with inclement weather, or how freaking cold the library is EVERY DAY. I may have my nickname of sweater girl stripped from me because I don't have to wear a sweater or hoodie every day, even in the oven of a Central Texas summer.

This post is about the perks, the positives, the bright spots of working from home and being home all day. But of course there are downsides too. I have lost my independence because it is not safe for me to go anywhere. I have to rely on both my roommate and my caregiver to shop for me and get my prescriptions. I've been able to get some deliveries, but not many. I am so very grateful to have my roommate to talk to and spend time with, although even he and I are social distancing. We sit across the room from each other, or stand in separate rooms to converse. Otherwise, my social life has shrunk to the people that I can e-mail, text, video chat, or talk on the phone with. No book club nights. No trips to Houston and San Antonio. No museums, no shopping, no eating out. No movies. No concerts or other special events. None of that.

So do the positives outweigh the negatives?
Definitely not.
But focusing on the good parts of this new way of life does help.
I hope when I go back to regular life I can continue some of the things I'm doing now, like eating better and exercising. And staying connected to family and friends in other cities.

librarianintx


No comments: