Monday, April 06, 2020

"Living Under the Threat" - Exercise 4/6/20

Consistency doesn't work for everyone.
Not everyone needs a routine
I need both.

Every day since I've been working from home I have showered and dressed.
Even on the weekends.
No exceptions.
Some days I was only wearing jeans and t-shirt.
But still - no pajamas or nightshirt all day for me.
It's just how I am.

I have also done my exercises every day.
Not necessarily all of them.
But most.
Balance exercises.
Leg exercises.
Arm exercises.
And either walking, pedaling, or rarely both.

In the beginning I was going for a fifteen to twenty minute walk around my apartment complex.
It was one of my favorite parts of the day.
Getting outside felt good for my physical and mental health.

But rainy / chilly weather and concern about social distancing, even in my apartment complex, has complicated my daily walks. I don't know how safe it is to be outside. I sit on my patio, and that's nice, but it's not exercise.

So I have had to be more creative about exercising.
Walking back and forth in my building breezeway when no one is around
"Jogging" from my bedroom to the front door and back
Walking in place a few times a day, for about 3 minute intervals
Plus pedaling 10-20 minutes per day.

Exercise has become very important to me.
I have osteoporosis, which is only going to get worse as I age, so I have to do what I can to stay as active as possible, which will help my bones and muscles.
And that is where consistency comes into play.
I can't take a day off from exercise.
Not a single day.
If I do, I fear I'll stop trying.

I can't let the pandemic take away the progress I've made in exercising.
Exercising used to be hard, taxing, tiring.
Now it usually feels good.
I'm even trying to add some new exercises to my regiment. 
My last bone scan actually showed improvement in one area.
I have to keep going.
And I want to be as healthy as possible when I return to my normal daily routine.

So it's now 10:51 pm
I have done my balance and leg exercises.
But I haven't pedaled yet.
I've been blogging about exercise instead.
So I better get to it.
Pedal exerciser, here I come!
Even five minutes is better than nothing. 

librarianintx



No comments: