Tuesday, April 14, 2020

"Living Under the Threat" - grateful 4/14/20

I've mentioned numerous times how grateful I am for the job that I have.

Today I am especially grateful for the State Librarian and the management team. I felt so relieved after the agency virtual meeting that we had this morning. I know that careful consideration will be given before the agency is open again, and everyone in authority is committed to the health and safety of all the employees. Social distancing will continue, and likely telecommuting as well, with staff working in the office on a rotating basis. I know that I will be able to express my concerns about returning to the library, and they will work with me to ensure that I will be as protected as possible. Nothing in life is guaranteed of course. But I am so profoundly lucky to work for such a terrific organization. Everyone is valued and appreciated, and individual needs are thoughtfully taken into account. I'm still nervous because my job cannot be accomplished completely remotely. But I am trying to be calm and figure out the next right steps when the time comes.

In other news, ATX now has a mandatory face covering rule. We went from 0 to 100 in one day - the mandate went into effect at midnight last night. What about the people don't have masks yet, and don't have the material to make any? What about the people who cannot afford them? What about the people who can't wear one, either because they can't physically put one on, or because they can't breathe well when wearing one? Mayor Adler is not only urging everyone to wear one, he is actually advocating the public policing each other. So you could get shamed for not one wearing one; you could also get berated for not wearing one. This is not a time for us to be turning on each other.

"A warm smile is the universal language of kindness."
Unfortunately, it looks like we won't be seeing any warm smiles in public for a long time.
It will be such a different way of life.
We will need to smile with our eyes.
And speak words of kindness - through a mask.

librarianintx

No comments: