Sunday, April 19, 2020

"Living Under the Threat" - masks - 4/19/20

Mask-wearing is now a regulation in ATX, and thanks to a dear friend I am now the proud owner of two masks that fit me. I am waiting for more that I've ordered to come in the mail.

It's tough to find not only masks that fit me, but also ones that I can put on by myself. It defeats the purpose of social distancing if my roommate or caregiver has to help me get the mask on. And they aren't always here. But of course, right now I'm not going anywhere. Still, masks will likely be part of our attire for quite some time. So I will need some whenever I get to re-join society - in whatever limited capacity that may be. I don't have to wear one when I go to walk in the apartment complex, but it also couldn't hurt to do that, if I can breathe well enough while wearing one.

Last night CNN said it was day 50 of the pandemic. That would mean according to them, the outbreak began on February 29th. I looked back in my daily journal, and the first time that I mention the Coronavirus is on March 6th. I made a note of it because that was day SXSW was canceled. At the time many people were outraged that the huge music and movie festival that brings in millions of dollars to the city was canceled. Now most people think that was absolutely the right thing to do. People from all over the world come to SXSW. We would have likely become a hotspot like New Orleans if SXSW had been allowed to happen.

Fifty days already - fifty one to be exact. Fifty one days that has changed all Americans. And of course parts of the world have been affected longer than that. So much is different now.

How long will this new way of life last?

No one can say for sure.

Which is why it is a time of so much stress and anxiety.

All we can do is take everything one day at a time.

librarianintx

No comments: