Monday, April 24, 2017

Sugar Journal Week 6

The good news of the week:
No Gatorade all week!
No juice all week!
I miss the drinks a lot. I do not enjoy drinking water, but I'm trying to get more accustomed to it. I know I need to be drinking more. It amazes me that when I was in my late teens and early 20's, ALL I drank was soda. For the past few years I've had a soda maybe once or twice a year. With my decision to cut back on sugar, I'll likely not drink soda at all.

This past week I went back to an old snack - graham crackers. The good news about graham crackers is that they are lower in sugar than a lot of other snacks, and I don't eat a whole serving. One serving is 8 crackers, and I think a serving has either 7 or 8 grams of sugar. I usually eat four crackers. I also ate some of my low sugar chocolate cookies this week. But each day I ate either graham crackers or cookies, not both. Or maybe one day I ate both. But I don't think so. I honestly can't remember. If I did, it was only one day.

My willpower dissolved over the weekend, but at least I didn't go crazy. I had a small, fruit-filled pastry on Saturday (there were three in the bag, but I've only eaten one so far.) And on Sunday I ate a chocolate chip cookie. Both sweets were consumed at a chorus concert that I was volunteering at. There were snacks on sale, and I couldn't resist. All I had to do was see a guy walk by me eating one of the chocolate chip cookies, and I was out of my seat and at that table, money in hand, almost in the blink of an eye. I went back to my seat, and I savored every morsel of that cookie. Because that is what I have decided to do in this journey. I am trying hard to avoid sugar. I am congratulating myself when I'm successful, but I'm not beating myself up when I fall short of my goal. If I really want something sugary, I'm going to eat it. I'm going to enjoy it, and then I'm going to get back on track. At this point I just don't see myself going 100% sugar free. I have to be okay with that for now. Life is too short to constantly be disappointed in myself.

Celebrate the achievements. Take the setbacks in stride.

librarianintx

No comments: