Tuesday, April 11, 2017

DWTS Most Memorable Year Nite Part 1

Before I begin my recap - a caveat. My scores for the evening's performances are based on the dancing, not on the stories that inspired the routines. All of the stories deserved tens last night - they were poignant, emotional, some of them were gut wrenching. All of them were intensely personal and from the heart, and I felt every single one of them.

Normani & Val
Rumba
It was an emotional, lyrical (of course!), sexy, sensual routine. I loved their costumes, and her hair flying everywhere. I liked Fifth Harmony being there to sing. It was a beautiful performance, but I had two issues: 1) not enough hip action, and 2) There was a lift. I don't grade down on lifts like Carrie Ann does, but I do mention them when I see them (or when I think see one).
Len: "needed more content"
Julianne: "powerhouse"
Bruno: "owned the stage"
Carrie Ann: "all about your empowerment - but there was a lift" (!)
Scores: 8, 7, 8, 9
My score: 8

Nick & Peta
Rumba
Extra dancers - ugh! I understand why they were in the routine, but I'm still not happy about it. Interestingly, though, I thought his hip action and partnering skills were better with the group than when it was just him and Peta. But he was good with Peta too. Decent. I thought the part at the end with Vanessa was overkill. It's like they're trying to convince everyone that they're in love. Anyway, I digress. I'm obsessed with that Ed Sheeran song, and yeah, NICE body, Nick. :)
Julianne: "best dance of yours" She also mentioned how much calmer he was, and yes, he was calm, which showed some growth.
Bruno: "something new stirred inside you" 
Carrie Ann thought the beginning was awkward.
Len also said it was his best dance.
Scores: 8, 7, 8, 7
My score: 7 (but almost an 8)

Nancy & Artem
Foxtrot
It was a sweet, precious, dreamy, floaty routine. I just adore Nancy and Artem; I know I've said that more than once, but I just can't help myself. She looked maybe a touch crooked in one of the spins, and I thought I saw a lift, but overall it was a beautiful routine. They achieved a lovely flow of movement around the stage, and the spins were good. I loved it.
Bruno: "amazing lyricism"
Carrie Ann: "incredible vulnerability" (She didn't mention a lift!)
Len: "you've become a front runner" (yay!)
Julianne: "childlike purity"
Scores: 8, 9, 8, 8
My score: 8

Mr. T & Kym
Waltz
Yeah, I teared up. Because it is such a powerful, uplifting song / hymn. And because his faith is so important to him. And because he is trying so hard to dance. He attempted rise and fall. He attempted a frame. He treated Kym like a china doll. It was a lovely routine.
Carrie Ann: "winning our hearts...gallant, genteel, and full of grace"
Len: "I admire you"
Julianne: "the beauty was in the performance"
Bruno: "love and respect"
Scores: 7, 7, 7, 7
My score: 6

Heather & Alan (Maks)
Cha Cha
Okay, I'm probably being silly and petty here, but for me, there are elements that influence how I "judge" a routine. Of course the technique and performance level are key factors, but things like costumes and music play a part as well. Why on earth did she wear a pantsuit for a Cha Cha? That really threw me. I think she needed to wear a dress or skirt. I've never considered myself old-fashioned and I'm definitely not anti-feminist, but unfortunately I found myself focusing on that during the entire routine. A pantsuit for a Cha Cha? See, I'm still obsessed with that. Anyway, the routine had loads of Cha Cha content, which Heather handled with ease. It was a fun performance, and she looked youthful and happy. But a pantsuit?
Len: "sharp and crisp, lovely"
Julianne: "so much content"
Bruno: "Can I marry you both?"
Carrie Ann: "'A' game - but there was a lift!"
Scores: 8, 9, 9, 9
My score: 8 (I'm sorry - it would have been a 9 if she had not worn a pantsuit!)

End of Part 1


No comments: