Tuesday, April 25, 2017

DWTS Boy Bands vs Girl Groups Nite Recap Part 1

I'm excited for Boy Bands vs Girl Groups Nite!
This sounds like my kind of show!
Oh yeah, if the opening is any indication, I'm gonna love it!
Nick Carter is a guest judge! Yay!
And Maks is back!
I will make a prediction here and now. The guys will be good. But the girls will SLAY IT!!

Part I: Individual Dances

Simone & Sasha
Samba - Destiny's Child -"Survivor"
Simone had to bring the sexy in this performance. She certainly did with the costume. But Simone is very young, and she's an athlete. She's still not comfortable being sexy, and it showed in this dance. The steps were there, the technique was there, the athleticism was definitely there. I can't fault her for any of that. But there was little chemistry between her and Sasha, and not enough body contact. It was fast, it was energetic, but it was not sexy the way a Samba should be, so overall it was disappointing for me.
Len: "control, lots of Samba, but timing was a little suspect"
Bruno: "glowing with confidence, but timing wasn't perfect"
Carrie Ann: "sexiness in the way it should be" (mmm, okay)
Nick: "powerful woman"
Scores: 9, 8, 9, 9
My score: 8

Bonner & Sharna
Rumba - Backstreet Boys - "I Want it That Way"
I feel like a broken record, but honestly, for me, Bonner's best assets as a dancer are his partnering skills and his chemistry with Sharna. Oh, and the fact that he's smokin' hot in tight jeans and an open shirt. The chemistry was off the charts in this dance. His Rumba technique was just fair. I didn't see much hip action. Sharna did most of the work. And it took them awhile to start dancing, which annoys me and Len, especially Len.
Bruno: "Rumba is hard for a man"
Carrie Ann: "You were in sync - solid Rumba"
Nick: "You have to let go, Bonner"
Len: "needed more emotion"
Scores: 8, 8, 7, 7
My score: 7

Nancy & Artem
Paso Doble - En Vogue - "Free Your Mind"
Poor Nancy. She's doing well in the competition, but I feel like the show is making it harder for her. First they fill the stage with extra dancers two weeks in a row, which makes her nervous and insecure. Then they give her the same dance with the same song that Mel B and Maks absolutely slayed in their season. Nancy was watching back then. She remembers how awesome it was. I remember too. So its difficult not to compare the two performances. But I thought she coped well. I thought her skirt work was very good. Unfortunately I also thought she was in the cage for too long. It was a fast, sharp, tight Paso. She looked fierce. No Nancy Kerrigan smile during this dance. My other crticism is that the lights were a little blinding at times.
Carrie Ann: "amazing! exciting!"
Nick: "Wow! Commanded the floor"
Len: "don't doubt yourself"
Bruno: "unleashed the beast"
Scores: 9, 8, 8, 8
My score: 8

Nick & Peta
Jive - Beach Boys - "Fun Fun Fun"
Even the plethora of extra dancers couldn't save Nick in this dance. The beginning was the worst - bad timing, choppy, no musicality. He did get a little better as the routine progressed, but overall he was like a car in the wrong gear - too slow, then too fast. He performed some decent kicks and flicks, and a few of his non-Jive moves were okay. But overall - no bueno. I'm sorry Nick. You're a fun dude. I like you.
Nick: "gotta work on the moves"
Len: "lacked polish and finesse"
Bruno: "jive with a sunstroke - no precision and timing"
Carrie Ann: "your feet were all over the place"
Scores: 7, 7, 7, 7
My score: 6

Normani & Val
Salsa - Pussycat Dolls - "When I Grow Up"
Normani channeled her inner Beyonce AND her inner Simone on this routine. She brought the sexy AND the athleticism. She was very good with Val, but she was even hotter when she was dancing without him. Her outfit was sexy, but could have been even sexier I think. I didn't mind the extra dancers in this routine. It was a fantastic dance. Go Normani!
Len - "showcased what a great dancer you are, but needed more Salsa content"
Bruno - "melted all my wiring - You are in it to win it!"
Carrie Ann: "every move you stick it"
Nick: "You have what it takes to go all the way"
Scores: 10, 10, 8, 10
My score: 9

David & Lindsay
Argentine Tango - N'Sync - "I Want You Back"
Again with a comparison, even though it wasn't the same song. But the Argentine Tango performed in those red costumes reminded me of Lindsay's amazing "Hotel California" Argentine Tango with Calvin last season. That routine had some tricks that I've never seen before. This Argentine Tango was a demanding routine with tough lifts and tricks that required a lot of strength and partnering skills. I'm impressed that David was able to hoist Lindsay over his head in that press lift, even though the dismount was shaky and hesitant. Again, I have to give him an "A" for effort. The performance wasn't perfect, but it wasn't disasterous by any means. Lindsay made him look pretty good overall.
Bruno: "you nearly actually did it"
Carrie Ann "you went for it - it was rough around the edges"
Nick: "You are a fighter"
Len: "You did a marvelous job"
Scores: 7, 8, 7, 7
My score: 7

Rashad & Emma
Tango - The Four Tops - "I'll Be There"
Rashad dancing to the Four Tops - swoon! I loved it! Great routine! Rashad is back! Excellent partnering skills, solid frame, wonderful speed, nice and tight. It was a proper Tango - fast and exciting and they covered the dance floor. Yay!
Carrie Ann: "style and technique"
Nick: "elevated yourself to elite"
Len: "proper Tango"
Bruno: "classic Motown and classic Tango"
Scores: 9, 10, 9, 9
My score: 9

Heather & Maks
Rumba - TLC - "Waterfall"
That looked like a professional dance. It was arguably one of the best Rumas I've seen on Dancing with the Stars. Heather has as much chemistry with Maks as she did with Alan. She was sexy as hell in that red dress. She and Maks are gorgeous together, and their similar height complemented each other. Her lines were STUNNING. It was sharp, fast, tight, ah-mazing. I'm in awe. Outstanding.
Nick: "my favorite dance of the night"
Len: "It was a knockout dance"
Bruno: "like Kim Bassinger in DWTS Confidential" (She DID look like Kim Bassinger!)
Carrie Ann "your best dance - stunning"
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 (!!)
My score: 10

End of Part I
End of Part 1 of recap
 

No comments: