Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Day 17: A Month of Birthday Gratitude

During the pandemic, some people cooked at home more - because restaurants may have been closed, to lessen the chance of getting sick, to save money, to do something new different - whatever the reason, people were spending their time cooking, baking, etc. 

I make a few things, but I'm not a cook. However, I have been more interested lately in trying to cook. Friends gave me an Instant Pot during COVID, and I like the ease and versatility of it. Yes, most of what I make are "dump and cook" recipes, but still - better than eating fast food or a frozen meal. I am also eating more salads - using either baby spinach or quinoa as a base. In the Instant Pot I have made spaghetti, taco pasta, chicken and barley soup, pinto beans, black beans, and a few variations of creamy pasta with either chicken or ground turkey. I've saved a lot of recipes and want to try them. 

I've also been baking a bit, in my quest to eat healthier treats. I make chocolate brownies sweetened with honey and unsweetened applesauce, and vegan banana and blueberry muffins. 

I wish I could do more casseroles, but lifting pans in and out of the oven is tricky for me. Still, I'm grateful for what I can do in the kitchen. I like comfort food and having leftovers for the freezer, and with the Instant Pot I can make all that happen. 

librarianintx

 

 

No comments: