Thursday, March 28, 2024

Day 23: A Month of Birthday Gratitude

Before butterflies, I had another favorite animal. 

I still love elephants. 

You can love more than one thing at a time. 

When I was young, my mom, sister, and I each chose something to collect. My mom picked turtles, my sister decided on clowns, and elephants were my choice. I'm not sure why, really. But they are still close to my heart. 

I've been fortunate to have some close encounters with elephants. 

I have ridden on an elephant twice, at the Renaissance Festival. Short rides both times, just a meander around an enclosure, but still very exciting. Their ears and trunks flapped, I could feel their wrinkly skin, and I remember shutting out my fear of heights and reveling in the experience. 

Then in 2022 three friends and I went to the elephant experience at the Preserve in Fredericksburg. We helped give an elephant a bath, learned about their care, watched them paint and eat, and took pictures with them. It was one of the coolest things I've ever done. I recommend it and I would do it again. 

The elephant in the photo painted the picture that I'm holding. 

librarianintx

No comments: