Sunday, March 03, 2024

Day Three: A Month of Birthday Gratitude

Many of you will be surprised that Capital Metro makes my gratitude list. 

I have certainly complained about the service. Metro Access is also the subject of my "Be On Time Chronicles" blog series. 

Still, I am grateful that I qualify for the service, and that I still reside in the service area. Riding fixed route would be too difficult for me. Metro Access gets me where I need to go. It is affordable and accessible. 

Over the years the service has improved. Late last year, Capital Metro debuted a new app and computer system. I don't have to be ready as early as I used to, and thanks to an alert system I don't have to wait at the curb in all manner of weather. Both of those improvements benefit me greatly. There are still kinks in the system that need to be worked out, but they are steps in the right direction. Also, if the driver is lost, they can call me from the vehicle without having to go through dispatch, which is helpful. 

I am also grateful for Pickup, which is Capital Metro's ride share service. They have set up zones throughout the city, so you can only travel within your zone on Pickup. Hey, it's a start. With Pickup, I can get same day transportation every day except Sunday, and go to HEB, Walgreens, JC Penny, CVS, and a few other places in the area. It's a shared ride service, but that's okay. The buses are lift-equipped, it works through an app so you can see where your vehicle is, and I can pay with my unlimited rides Metro Access monthly pass. Having same-day transportation that is cheaper than a traditional ride share is a big deal for me. One day I went to Walgreens, then JC Penny, and back home. Going two places on Metro Access, even in the neighborhood, would have taken hours. 

I appreciate you Capital Metro!

Thank you for contributing to my independence. 

librarianintx


No comments: