Monday, September 04, 2017

Project Runway Recap - Dance challenge

Dance, movement, and innovation were the themes from this episode.

The other theme was that the rest of the designers are as tired of the twins as I am.

My brief notes on each design:

Kenya - dramatic, very well made, the jumpsuit fit like a glove and I really liked the pattern, but the jacket looked too constricting, especially considering the challenge of movement

Brandon - jacket was interesting, but overall not a memorable look

Michael - I liked the color and fabric choice.

Margarita -  flirty, sexy, flowed nicely, although I would have liked more color

Deyonte - His look resembled a cross between a skating outfit and a Halloween / clown / Elizabethan costume with the long train and collar

Amy - interesting, innovative

Kudzanai - too much going on, way too bright, not well-designed - no

Claire - the fit was tragic, especially on top - no

Ayana - a lot going on - I liked the stars and I didn't mind the layers, but the veil and head scarf were too much - She was lucky that she had immunity

Shawn - looked like something you'd wear to lounge on the couch at home, eat popcorn and watch movies

Aaron - I liked half of his look, but I did NOT like the big, floppy sleeves

Batani - very strong, very bold, very innovative - colorful is an understatement, but the garment was not over the top or garish - The look had everything the judges asked for in the challenge: dance ability, movement, and innovation

Kentaro - too plain

Samantha - intricate, good styling - her model looked fierce!

My overall impression:
Some designers got the movement part right.
Other designers got the innovation part right.
In my opinion, only Batani and Margarita got both movement and innovation right.

My top designers: Batani, Margarita, Kenya, Samantha
My bottom designers: Claire, Deyonte, Kudzanai

The six designers chosen for critiques by the judges:
Kentaro
Deyonte
Kudzanai
Margarita
Batani
Brandon

I clicked with the judges in some respects. They also put Deyonte and Kudzanai in the bottom, and Margarita and Batani in the top. But instead of Claire being in the bottom, they chose Kentaro. And instead of Kenya or Samantha being in the top, they chose Brandon.

I did NOT understand why the judges were so ga-ga over Brandon's look. What was so special about that jacket? I just didn't get it. Did it have movement, innovation? I guess, but not when compared to Batani's look. Batani should have won the challenge in my opinion. The garment was a show stopper, and had all the elements the judges wanted. I like Brandon. I'm not against him winning a challenge. I'm just against him winning this particular challenge, and simply because Batani's look epitomized the theme of the episode.

But the judges did make the right call when they sent Kudzanai home, although Deyonte's look could easily have sent him packing as well.

librarianintx


No comments: