Monday, September 11, 2017

So You Think You Can Dance Recap 9/4/17

Before I talk about the sensational performances from this week (actually last week, because I'm a week late, LOL), I want to mention a past performance that drove me CRAZY trying to remember it!

I remembered a female contestant dancing to a hip hop-type song that reminded me of Taylor doing hip hop the previous week. I remembered the song was by a female artist that had an earlier song that was very different, more of a ballad. The hip hop-type song was a departure from her usual sound. I thought the first song was called "I'll Fly Away," but when I googled that title, I got Allison Krause and Johnny Cash. So I was losing my mind trying to remember!

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Finally I remembered the name of the hip hop-type song: "Promiscuous."
Performed by Nelly Furtado
Her earlier song was called "I'm Like a Bird."
The SYTYCD contestant was Natalie from season 2; her partner was Musa.

Mystery solved!
Moving on...

Part I: Contestants with their all-star partners
Lex & Gabby
Hip Hop
Luther Brown
Really sharp, precise, and in sync
Gabby was unrecognizable. I thought she got down and dirty a little more than Lex, but he did well. The big spin and the somersault at the end were way cool.
Very good energy throughout
A standing ovation from the judges, and the audience went crazy.
Vanessa: "You were in the pocket - down and dirty"

Logan & Allison
African Jazz
Sean Cheesman
a LOT of flexibility
and partnering
and speed
and precision
and balance
and lifting
and timing
A very exciting routine
It was a tough dance for Logan because he's so tall, but he nailed it!
His flexibility is ridiculous!
And how did they do all those moves with those headpieces on? Were they welded to their heads?
The judges loved the performance, and so did I.

Kaylee & Cyrus
Contemporary
Tyce Diorio
In many ways similar to Logan and Allison's routine, but without the African Jazz elements.
Also required a lot of precision, flexibility, lifts, leaping, balance, and timing
I especially enjoyed the intensity and passion they both displayed, and their chemistry with each other.
Kaylee's leaps were both beautiful and tremendous.
Mary: "dynamic...you were an actress...I felt you"

Kiki & Jenna
Broadway
Warren Carlyle
Holy props! They both coped excellently with the constant barrage of props, and Jenna had to do it in heels! They were both exuberant and exhausted at the end of the routine. I think I held my breath during most of the dance. It was a fun, tight routine. Very impressive. They both had a good bounce, and of course ballroom boy Kiki was very good at moving his hips.
Another standing ovation from the judges
Nigel: "You're now a brilliant all-around dancer"

Koine & Marco
Jive
Dmitry Chapman
These routines are ON FIRE tonight, and so are the dancers! OMG! What a wonderful routine! A fantastic mix of Jive, Swing, and Lindy Hop, set to 50's music! It was so fun and infectious. Their tricks were amazing, their kicks and flicks were top notch, I loved everything about this dance and was sad when it was over. I loved the personality of the performance too. Outstanding!

Taylor & Robert
Contemporary
Mandy Moore
the lifts
the lines
Taylor's fluidity and flexibility
the trust that she has in Robert, that she can be that relaxed and limber in those lifts
so gentle yet so powerful
seemingly effortless
Gorgeous!
star-quality performance
The third standing ovation from the judges.

Mark & Comfort
Hip Hop
Misha Gabriel
Ninja!
Fierce
Fast
Powerful
They were both in their element.
My only complaint: it seemed a little short
So my critique feels a little short.
It was kick-ass
And I'm glad they didn't keep the masks for the entire dance.

Part II: Group numbers
 Kaylee, Lex, & Logan
Contemporary
Dwight Rhoden & Desmond Richardson
Excellent synchronicity among the three of them
Kaylee kept up with two very strong contemporary male dancers
It was a demanding routine - lots of leaps and turns

Robert, Kiki, Koine, and Taylor
Contemporary
Sean Cheesman
VERY cool routine
Powerful
No music - only spoken word by Maya Angelou
A LOT of partnering and complicated lifts
Wonderful message of our interconnectedness
The audience was screaming throughout the performance
A wonderful way to end a spectacular night of dance

Results:
Bottom three: Kaylee, Mark, and Kiki
Mark was eliminated.
:-(
Mark has an awesome personality, and he had some very memorable performances on the show with Comfort.
It's a shame that anyone had to go home at the end of this episode.
I don't usually comment on the solos, but they were outstanding as well tonight!

librarianintx
 

No comments: