Thursday, September 28, 2017

Dancing with the Stars Season 25 "Latin Nite" Recap 9/26/17

Two nights of DWTS in a row - whew!
It's Latin Nite!
Let's go Dance Fans!

Nikki Bella & Artem
Samba
She was nervous about being sexy. Really?
I think she got over it pretty quickly though. :)
Like the previous night, this was a short dance that was small on content as well. Like, really brief on content. There was a good amount of grinding, but the only real Samba content I saw was one run. That was about it. I was once again left wanting more.
"Artem hasn't had a carbohydrate in twelve years" - Tom (LOL!)
Len: "not keen on the gyrating - needed more bounce"
Bruno: "longest foreplay in Samba history"
Carrie Ann: "good connection - but you need to finish your moves"
Scores: 6, 6, 6
My score: 6

Victoria Arlen & Val
Rumba (the dance of love)
Another short dance, and it took them awhile to start dancing. I also saw her hesitating again. There was Rumba content - some. I don't know, the audience seemed to enjoy the routine more than I did. I thought it was kind of forgettable. The mood of the piece was not as sexy as a traditional Rumba. It was just okay for me.
Bruno: "mini play, deeply felt, more contemporary" (yes, I agree, it felt more like a contemporary dance in some ways.)
Carrie Ann: "authentic, vulnerability"
Len: "emotional, but very little else - not enough Rumba content"
Scores: 7, 6. 7
My score: 6

Derek Fisher & Sharna
Paso Doble
I think he tried to dance bigger - to own the floor, and have control over Sharna. He was assisted by the roving camera. He had some decent shaping and footwork, and he looked fairly feisty, but I thought his partnering work fell apart at the end of the dance.
Carrie Ann: "locked and loaded, amazing, owning the space"
Len: "spirit and determination, but your hands go flat"
Bruno: "unleashed the mean streak, but you lost artistry"
Scores: 7, 6, 6
My score: 6

Sasha Pieterse & Gleb
Samba
Definitely the most content that we've seen in a dance so far on this episode. The problem was, the song was not a good fit for a Samba. Between the song and the pale pink costumes, this felt more like Pageant nite than Latin nite. They didn't get down and dirty; there was no bounce. It was too cutesy. She does have great hair for dancing though.
Len: "plenty of Samba content, sparkle"
Bruno: "such a lovely dancer, but don't be shy, sell it!"
Carrie Ann: "You were on fire, you had the bounce, technique, and flair" (mmm, okay)
Scores: 8, 7, 7
My score: 7

Nick Lachey & Peta
Argentine Tango
Yet again, short on content, but yay, Nick, I saw improvement! His partnering skills were much better. Argentine Tango is a more structured dance, which suited Nick. He seemed more comfortable, and he moved better. I didn't think he was stiff, and I saw him as a leading man. Good job!
And Peta - va va voom! How did that skirt stay on her body?
Bruno: "You really tried to get into character, but you need to glide more"
Carrie Ann: "I saw a lot more passion, lifts were executed beautifully"
Len: "needed passion and intensity"
Scores: 7, 6, 6
My score: 7

Jordan Fisher & Lindsay
THANK GOODNESS FINALLY A COUPLE GOT OUT THERE AND HIT THE FLOOR DANCING!
This was the most content in a dance by a mile! And difficult Samba content. They even did Samba rolls, which are so tough. He and Linsday are young, energetic, have magnetic chemistry - that dance was on fire! And Lindsay's costume - HELLO! Dance of the night so far! Smokin'! Holy cow! This one will be on repeat for sure.
Carrie Ann: "vibrancy, youth, energy, thank you for the nuances"
Len: "peculiar leg action"
Bruno: "you light up the room with your own individual style"
I have to say I was very disappointed by Len's comments. Jordan and Lindsay gave him everything he usually looks for - quick into the dance, loads of content, well-executed performance, not raunchy - and all he did was criticize Jordan's legs and feet. Sigh.
Scores: 8, 8, 8
My score: 8 (almost a 9)

Drew Scott & Emma
I think Drew and Emma bribed the crew. The briefness of the routine, the weird camera angle, and the lights blinding me all made it difficult to discern how well he was dancing. I guess he did okay. Definitely better than last week. And there was some chemistry there. But I didn't see a lot of hip action, which is a must for a Rumba.
Len: "your best dance so far"
Bruno: "You got it together"
Carrie Ann: "very expressive"
Scores: 7, 7, 7
My score:6 (almost a 7)

Debbie Gibson & Alan
Argentine Tango
Naughty Debbie? I guess, but I would say more steamy than naughty. I'll take it. It was a solid routine: good amount of content, well-executed lifts, and I give them a bonus point for dancing on the table. I thought she had good posture and a good frame.
Bruno: "Debbie, the Cougar from Cuba, just watch your feet"
Carrie Ann: "solid performance"
Len: "captured the nightclub vibe of Buenos Aires"
Scores: 7, 7, 7
My score: 8

Vanessa Lachey & Maks
Salsa
Yet another short routine. I felt especially cheated with this dance, because she is such a strong performer. I felt like they barely had time to get into the routine. I was also bothered by her costume. This is Latin Nite, and she is a hot mama. Why was she so covered up? Pants and a long sleeve blouse? Yes, the top was sparkly, but still...she looked...frumpy. :( Maks showed more skin than her. Okay, on to the dance. It was decent. Sexy. Salsa content. But overall, I was disappointed. I wanted more. She deserved a better routine and a sexier costume.
Len: "You are a contender!"
Bruno: "juicy, saucy, spicy"
Scores: 8, 8, 7
My score: 7 (I'm scoring the overall dance, not just her)

Terrell Owens and Cheryl
Samba
On Ballroom Nite, their routine was sexy. This dance - mmmm. I think he took a step back in his progress. He's so proud of how sexy and handsome he is. But where was the body contact in this number? There honestly wasn't any. The performance seemed forced. I don't know what happened. Where was the chemistry? I was not feeling this routine at all.
Len: "kept your posture"
Bruno was on fire, "but you need more bounce"
Carrie Ann: "I want to see more"
Scores: 6, 6, 7
My score: 6

Lindsay Stirling & Mark
Salsa
Yup, she's still a contender. Solid content, and by far the best hip action we've seen in this episode. Also the most enjoyable routine next to Jordan and Lindsay's. She looked like she was having a blast. Her enthusiasm was infectious.
Bruno: "That showgirl is a firecracker, great speed and energy"
Carrie Ann: You were on a mission and you accomplished it. You are the music"
Len: "full on, flat out, fabulous!"
Scores: 8, 8, 8
My score: 8

Frankie Muniz & Witney
Cha Cha
The extra dancers were unnecessary, but this was a great dance to end the night. I loved how fun and cheeky it was. Frankie was very expressive in both his movements and facial expressions - lots of enjoyable little nuances. It was a very entertaining routine. Carrie Ann said that Terrell and Derek dance small - Frankie dances big. Bigger than his size. And there was strong Cha Cha content as well. Of course I loved the Bruno Mars song too. Frankie channeled him and Bruno's crew quite capably. Great job Frankie and Witney!
Carrie Ann: "You have swagger! And technique!"
Len: "That was a terrific, entertaining routine"
Bruno: "so delicious, cool, hip, clever, cheeky"
Scores: 8, 8, 9
My score: 8 (almost a 9)

Results:
In jeopardy:
Nick & Peta
Debbie & Alan
BOOOO!!! Debbie & Alan were eliminated. I am very upset. She did not deserve to go home. I feel bad for her. I know she was enjoying her time on the show, and she was working hard and managing her health condition. I'll miss you, Debbie.

librarianintx

No comments: