Thursday, September 14, 2017

"Be on Time" Chronicles 9/12/17

As I've said before, para-transit won't wait.
Even if you're stuck in the building during a possible emergency.
The alarms went off at work around 2 pm, and everyone exited the building.
Except myself and a co-worker
It was the first time I decided not to negotiate the four flights of difficult stairs.
So she and I waited in the stairwell
And waited
And waited some more
No one came to get us
My cell service evidently was spotty in the stairwell
Almost fifteen minutes elapsed before I received a text from another co-worker
Emergency vehicles were arriving, but no one had any answers.
My ride was due in less than ten minutes.
If I missed it, would I get another?
Likely, but it might take an hour...or two
And I was headed to the grocery store after work.
I had a schedule to keep.
But so does para-transit
My team leader knew of my predicament
She spoke to the building supervisor.
"Her ride is coming soon," she implored. "What can we do?"
"No worries," the unflappable man soothed. "I'm sure they'll wait for her."
"See, that's the thing," my team leader informed him. "They won't."
I was fortunate that this was one of the days where my ride was not on time.
The all-clear was given.
I powered down my computer and rushed downstairs.
Hurry up and wait again.
The vehicle arrived about 2:50
Once again, all the stress was unnecessary.
If you're wondering what triggered the building alarm -
I still don't know.
But all's well that ends well.

librarianintx

No comments: