Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Dancing with the Stars Season 25 Episode 1 9/18/17

I know I should have done this the other way around. I should have watched "So You Think You Can Dance" because it's the performance finale, and if I watch the results finale on Tuesday night without having seen the performances, it will be like cheating. But darn you, FOX and ABC, for having FOUR hours of dancing in one night! I had grand designs of watching both shows by flipping back and forth during commercials, but that didn't work out. I can't recap that fast. So I went with "Dancing with the Stars." I was too excited to wait! Here we go, dance fans!

SEASON 25! Wow!
And the opening number gets bigger and flashier every year.
Congratulations on your Emmy, Mandy Moore!

Terrell Owens & Cheryl
Cha Cha
Welcome back Cheryl!
Terrell is tall!
Is he the best football ever to dance on this show? Not yet, and I tend to think he's not going to be, but he had a few moves, and he definitely has the likeability factor already. He was smooth, the costume was appropriately flashy, and he had a popular Motown song to groove to ("Ain't too Proud to Beg"). Nice beginning! The height difference wasn't noticeable in this routine.
Len: "got the party started - but watch your feet and legs"
Scores: 5, 5, 5
My score: 6

Debbie Gibson & Alan
Foxtrot
Yay for Alan getting promoted! (But boo for Sasha getting demoted to the troupe)
Alan was born in 1994?! Geez, I'm old!!
Debbie suffers from Lyme Disease. :(
She danced to her hit song "Lost in Your Eyes"!
I thought she did well for a first dance. Decent frame, nice flow of movement, and they traversed the stage well. She was a bit stiff and hesitant, but she looked lovely. Good job!
Bruno: "dreamy, great partnering and chemistry"
Scores: 6, 5, 6
My score: 6

Sasha Pieterse & Gleb
Cha Cha
Sasha is from "Pretty Little Liars"
Her parents are professional ballroom dancers, so she has something to prove.
I don't think she proved it in this first episode. She was clearly nervous and unsure, waiting for Gleb to make the moves first, but she tried to bring the sexy - it eeked out of her a time or two. She needs to work on her timing and confidence. She is definitely a work in progress.
Carrie Ann: "You looked fierce out there" (mmmm, okay)
Scores: 6, 6, 6
My score: 5

Drew Scott & Emma
Foxtrot
Another height difference between the couple
I think Emma's choreography made him look like a better dancer than he is. Plus the song - "Our House" by Madness - paired well with his quirky, bouncy style, or at least the rhythm that he used for this performance. It was entertaining, but it honestly wasn't good. His frame definitely needs work (Ha! His frame needs work! He's a property fixer upper!) :)
Len: "you're a fixer upper (I wrote it before you said it, Len!) - needs more finesse"
Scores: 6, 5, 5
My score: 5

Barbara Corcoran & Keo
Salsa
Geez Louise, what does "Dancing with the Stars" have against Keo? What did he do to make them constantly give him contestants who can't dance?! Okay, he had a decent partner with Jodie Sweetin a few seasons ago, but otherwise, he gets the Charos and the Barbaras. The pre-dance video was very funny. "Come to Mama" - she was all over him! But her Salsa WAS.NOT.GOOD. First of all, Salsa in the first week? Second of all, sixty-eight year old Barbara trying to shake her booty to a rap song? Painful. I'm not trying to be ageist here. Gladys Knight and Artem danced to "In Da Club" in their season and blew the roof off the place. Gladys is seventy-three. But this song - and dance - did not work for Barbara. End of story
Bruno: "She can shake her money maker!" (C'mon Bruno. She didn't shake anything) The intention was there; the execution needed more attack"
Scores: 5, 4, 5
My score: 4

Jordan Fisher & Lindsay
Tango
Jordan is an actor who has been in Hamilton on Broadway.
Lindsay has a contender!!
Performance of the night so far for me!
Great Shawn Mendez song - "Holding Me Back"
Excellent frame and hold, very fast, nice and tight, covered the floor - a proper Tango!
It was an exciting routine, fantastic musicality and chemistry!
I loved this performance!
Carrie Ann: (squealing): "body contact was on par, swagger, content..."
Scores: 8, 7, 7
My score: 8

Nick Lachey & Peta
Cha Cha
Round One of the Battle of the Married Couples!
Nick: "I was in 98 Degrees - the non-dancing boy band" :)
There were extra dancers in the beginning - grrr!
He gave it his all, and I appreciated his enthusiasm and gusto, but yeah, he needs to work on his hips. You would think such a smokin' hot guy would have more rhythm. Keep trying Nick! I want the opportunity to oggle you for a few more weeks. And a big thank you to the costume department for the tight shirt! :)
Len: "You went for it"
Scores: 6, 6, 6
My score: 6

Vanessa Lachey & Maks
Cha Cha
And Round One easily goes to Mama! (Again, I wrote it before Carrie Ann said it) :)
The baby part at the beginning was a little strange (and MORE extra dancers, ugh!)
But when they finally descended the stage, Vanessa was on fire! She is a hot mama for sure! Sharp, tight, great turns and footwork - impressive! I love her personality too. Maks has a contender for sure!
Bruno: "yummy mama - proper Cha Cha Cha"
Scores: 7, 7, 7
My score: 8

Frankie Muniz & Witney
Foxtrot
OMG, have I been spelling Witney's name wrong for years?! I think I have! I'm so sorry Witney!
In her heels, Witney appeared to be a hair taller than Frankie. But I was very impressed with Frankie's partnering ability. He was in control of the dance, and he had a good frame too. It was a solid routine. The choreography paired well with the music too.
Carrie Ann: "beautiful, endearing, honest, vulnerable, good posture"
Scores: 7, 6, 6
My score: 7

Nikki Bella & Artem
Tango
Artem is blond now!? Why, Artem? Sigh
This was a solid routine, as fiesty and fiery as she is, apparently. Her costume was bold, and she looked fierce. The performance looked like a proper Tango. Flipping Artem was a cool end to the routine, although it would have packed more punch if she had not done the same move in the pre-dance video. She should be in the top half of the leader board with this dance.
Len: "good body contact, but don't look down"
Scores: 7, 7, 6
My score: 7

Derek Fisher & Sharna
Salsa
Like with Terrell earlier in the night, Sharna tried to utilize Derek's strengths - his partnering skills and lifting ability. Because so far he isn't showing much in the rhythm department. But unfortunately he had an "oops" moment when it came to partnering. He needs more drills, more practice. Sharna was a little over-excited about Derek's performance.
Bruno: "great number - took center stage" (That's true. You have to give him a bonus point for his brief solo)
Scores: 6, 6, 6
My score: 5

Victoria Arlen & Val
Cha Cha
Like Sasha, I could tell she was nervous and hesitant. She kept waiting for Val to move before she did. So the dance didn't flow like a Cha Cha should. But I loved how expressive and joyful she was. And of course I adored the hot pink costumes. I don't know how much of her difficulty in the dance was due to her recovery, and how much was nerves. But I give her an "A" for her effort. Her enthusiasm and smile sold the dance (plus those awesome pink twirly pants!)
Carrie Ann: "one of the most joyous performances"
Scores: 7, 6, 6
My score: 6

Lindsey Stirling & Mark
Cha Cha
Best performance of the night by far!
Lindsey had it all in this dance - rhythm, hip action, sex appeal, speed, proper technique, chemistry with her partner, AND she looked completely comfortable on the dance floor. I heard people are already betting on her to take the mirrorball, and now I know why.
Dynamic, exciting, top notch performance!
Len: "crisp, clean, dance of the night!"
Scores: 7, 8, 7
My score: 8 (almost a 9!)

Overall, I felt the level of dancing was a little low for a season premiere, but there were definitely some highlights, and some contenders. I still love the show! Sparkle on, DWTS!

librarianintx


No comments: