Monday, September 18, 2017

So You Think You Can Dance recap 9/11/17

Double elimination episode!

Part I

Lex & Gabby
Samba
Sasha Farber
It looked like an African Jazz Samba to me. I liked it - fast, flirty, good tricks. But not as much in hold as a traditional Samba. And no Samba rolls, but those are tough.
Mary liked it, but had some issues with Lex.

Koine & Marco
Contemporary
Mandy Korpinen & Elizabeth Patrin
A very innovative and potentially dangerous routine
More gymnastics than contemporary in some ways
Their chemistry is out of this world.
The audience went crazy
"in harmony with yourself, with your partner, with the music, with the beautiful choreography" - Mary to Koine

Kiki & Jenna
Jazz
Ray Leeper
Any dance to "Proud Mary" has to be high energy. Period. This was a fast routine, but I couldn't help comparing it to Paige & Mark's Jive on Dancing with the Stars, which I think will go down in history as one of the best Jives on any dance show. I hate to compare, and to mention another show, but this routine was not as strong. It was a little slow in places. A little klunky on transitions. But still solid and enjoyable.
Mary put them on the Hot Tamale train.

Kaylee and Cyrus
Hip Hop
Phillip Chbeeb
Hi Phillip! :)
Lots of partnering
Very intricate
I'm glad they weren't in the box for the entire routine.
Innovative
Amazing moves

Taylor & Robert
Hip Hop
Keone & Mari Madrid
For me, Taylor and Robert bring 100% commitment to every routine they perform. They never do anything half ass. Their movements were sharp, precise, and powerful. This animation-type routine is far from their wheelhouse, but they sold it. A minor gripe - I did not like the colors on their necks and faces, and I'm glad I couldn't see that during the performance.

Lex got a standing ovation for his solo! That doesn't happen very often.

Logan & Allison
Contemporary
Dee Caspary
Very dark - like literally too dark for most of the piece - dark stage, dark clothing - I felt like I couldn't see them well enough
I couldn't discern for most of the routine that they were dancing with a rose
It was intense, passionate, but I was very disappointed and frustrated with the lighting.
Mary to Logan: "fabulous partnering work" - but Nigel wanted to feel more emotion from him.

Part II

Koine & Lex
Disco
Doriana Sanchez
A typical trick-fest, intensely high-energy disco routine from Doriana Sanchez, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love her choreography! I was totally into the music, the dancing, the costumes, everything. I'm surprised Koine and Lex didn't need supplemental oxygen after that performance. Lightning fast is an understatement. But oh no, Lex got hurt! He tried to shrug it off, but he was obviously in pain. I hope he's okay.

Taylor & Logan
Jazz
Mark Kanemura
Of course Gaga's back-up dancer is going to choreograph to a Gaga song. I liked this routine, but unfortunately, I wasn't gaga over it. It was good, but I think Taylor and Logan deserved better. There weren't a lot of wow moments for me in this performance. I blame the choreography, not the dancers. Mark is great at what he does, but this routine was just okay for me.

Kaylee and Kiki
Bollywood
Nakul Dev Mahajan
I was very impressed with both of their efforts, but Kaylee especially wowed me. Her rhythm and bounce were great! It was an enjoyable routine, but as Bollywood dances go on So You Think You Can Dance, I did not think this one was as challenging as others I've seen, such as Katie and Joshua's number, and even Dacy and Fik-shun's dance from earlier this season.

Results:
Yes, I am very disappointed. Logan was my favorite this season. I would have rather had him in the finale than Kiki. But that doesn't mean that I don't like Kiki. Overall, this is a VERY strong Top Four. It will be a great finale.

librarianintx

No comments: