Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Dancing with the Stars - Ballroom Nite - 9/25/17

Two shows this week!
An elimination each nite!
You're starting off with a bang, DWTS!

Debbie Gibson & Gleb
Quickstep
A Quickstep is supposed to be fast, and theirs definitely was! They galloped around the floor with seemingly good energy. Her frame, posture, and footwork looked solid to me. She also looked more comfortable than she did last week. She appeared to be having fun. Good job Debbie!
Len: "speed, but lacked a bit in control"
Bruno: "chemistry was sizzling"
Carrie Ann: "shapes were beautifully executed"
Scores: 7, 6, 7
My score: 7

Nikki Bella & Artem
Waltz
Can a WWE star demonstrate the grace and elegance needed for a Waltz? Yes, she can, and she did. Nikki looked lovely and moved like a swan gliding across a pond. My main criticism is that the routine was very short. I would have given her a higher score if I actually saw more dancing. I thought the content was slightly lacking. They didn't cover much of the floor, and there was only a hint of rise and fall. I wanted to see more. But I did think she channeled her inner Nana.
Bruno: "wonderful transformation, in control"
Carrie Ann: "You've already learned to trust - stunning"
Len: "You weren't looking down!"
Scores: 7, 7, 7
My score: 6 (Only due to lack of content)

Lindsey Stirling & Mark
Quickstep
Ahh, Mark the creative genius is back! I loved the set, I loved the transformation, of course I loved the butterflies! It was a fast, energetic Quickstep, but they had a lot of time out of hold, and some elements of the dance seemed more like Swing than Quickstep to me. Will the judges agree? I'm not going to mark them down if it wasn't a proper Quickstep. I enjoyed it!
Carrie Ann: "fantastic creativity!"
Len: "light, bright, fun, entertaining, but you have to maintain hold in a Quickstep"
Bruno: "Don't throw your arms"
Scores: 7, 7, 7
My score: 7

Barbara Corcoran & Keo
Tango
She's dyslexic, so she's sensitive about being laughed at. :(
Another very short dance. Well, she's definitely trying. I thought her frame and posture were a little better. They worked up some speed by the end of the routine. I'll give her a point for ripping open Keo's shirt as the final move in the dance. Why not? :)
I enjoyed the music too - "Whatever Lola Wants".
Len: "better than last week
Bruno: "investing in the right thing (Keo) - proper, recognizable Tango"
Carrie Ann: "radiated a new elegance"
Scores: 6, 5, 6
My score: 5

Nick Lachey & Peta
Foxtrot
Song: "Mandy" by Barry Manilow
I was hoping to see improvement, but unfortunately, I didn't. He looked stiff and uncomfortable, and his partnering skills were weak. The dance didn't have the grace and flow that a Foxtrot should have. At least he wore a tight shirt again. Priorities! :)
Bruno: "didn't close in, it became restricted"
Carrie Ann: "I saw an improvement" (uh, okay...)
Len: "too fragile, put a stick in it!" (uh, okay...)
Scores: 7, 6, 6
My score: 5

Drew Scott & Emma
Quickstep
He pulled his hamstring in rehearsal. Ouch!
Extra dancers - ugh! And I know I said Debbie and Alan galloped in their Quickstep, but that was meant as a compliment. Drew galloping in this dance is not meant the same way. Not. A. Good. Dance. Bad frame. Atrocious footwork. It was just bad. I'm sorry Drew. You're a great guy!
The audience loved the routine.
Carrie Ann: "fantastic routine, showstopper"
Len: "too loose and gangly, but I like your enthusiasm"
Bruno: "fantastic, luxury performance"
Did I watch the same dance? Am I in the Twilight Zone? The judges mentioned the Charleston elements of the dance. Okay, maybe it would have been decent if the performance had been a Charleston, but it wasn't, it was a Quickstep! But am I being unfair, because I didn't mind the Swing elements in Lindsey & Mark's Quickstep? 
Scores: 7, 6, 7
My score: 5

Vanessa Lachey & Maks
Foxtrot
WHY WERE THERE EXTRA DANCERS?!?! GAH!!
This was a good song and style for her "Hot Mama" persona and outgoing personality. She sizzled and commanded the stage, and that's no easy feat, to take the spotlight away from Maks. I barely noticed him in the routine (also because he was in the background sometimes BECAUSE OF THE UNNECESSARY EXTRA DANCERS!!)
I apologize for the "yelling." But I intensely dislike extra dancers, except in the freestyles.
Len: "I liked it"
Bruno: "Ava Gardener at her sultriest, with a little Jessica Rabbit thrown in"
Carrie Ann: "You are like liquid gold when you move."
Yes, life is good for Vanessa Lachey. She gets to dance with Maks and go home with Nick.
Bitch
I'm kidding! You rock, Vanessa! :)
Scores: 8, 8, 8
My score: 8

Frankie Muniz & Witney
Tango
Frankie might just be the one that no one expects to take the Mirrorball! If he's popular enough for people to vote for him, his dancing could be good enough to make him a contender. He's already looking quite solid in Week 2. He benefited from Witney's excellent choreography - the moves swelled with the music in all the right places. I'm impressed, especially for a guy with chronic back pain.
Bruno: "missile right on target, precise, excellent content"
Carrie Ann: "incredible, dynamic partnership"
Len: "you went for that like a boiling kettle"
Scores: 8, 7, 8
My score: 8

Terrell Owens & Cheryl
Foxtrot
It was a very sensual dance, especially towards the end. Maybe too sexy for a Foxtrot? I could tell he was working on both his frame and his hips. It wasn't the best dance of the night so far, but it wasn't the worst.  It was a mostly solid routine with some glimmers of improvement.
Carrie Ann was hot and bothered: "That's why I like to come to work."
Len was NOT hot and bothered: "Too raunchy"
Bruno: "sex trot straight into the bedroom" (LOL!)
Scores: 7, 6, 7
My score: 7

Sasha Pieterse & Gleb
Viennese Waltz
The extra dancers were seriously annoying and distracting. The opening visual was strange. But wow, what an improvement from last week! This was a great Viennese Waltz! Super fast turns (and a lot of them!) It was crisp, but flowed so beautifully, with lovely musicality. Sasha looked beautiful too. Impressive performance! For me, she is the most improved contestant so far!
Len: "nice position in hold"
Bruno: "so luscious and glamorous"
Carrie Ann: "your arms were lovely, expressive, elongated"
Scores: 8, 8, 7
My score: 8

Victoria Arlen & Val
Tango
From joyous last week to vixen this week. She is a good actress as well as a capable dancer. I saw improvement in her this week as well. She looked way more confident, and she danced better too. I think it helped that most of the dance was in hold, so her legs weren't on their own.
Bruno: "tough cookie Tango, well executed, You looked like a leading lady"
Carrie Ann: "polished, elegant, spot on"
Len: "super duper dance"
Scores: 8, 8, 8
My score: 8

Derek Fisher & Sharna
Foxtrot
I love seeing so much improvement in Week 2! This was a sweet, light, comedic Foxtrot. Derek had the opportunity to play to the audience and display some personality and musicality. His posture and partnering were admirable.
Carrie Ann: "You dance a little small, you need to own the stage" (Okay, valid point)
Len: "fun and lighthearted, you need to work on finesse and technique"
Bruno: "upbeat, feel of a romantic comedy"
Scores: 6, 6, 7
My score: 7

Jordan Fisher & Lindsay
Viennese Waltz
This dance checked all the boxes for me. It was a great routine to end the night. Jordan and Lindsay had chemistry, solid partnering, speed, and a beautiful flow across the floor. I enjoy watching them dance.
Len: "a little staccato and sharp"
Bruno: "true ballroom sparkle"
Carrie Ann: "I want to see more ballroom nuances"
Scores: 8, 8, 8
My score: 8

Couples in jeopardy:
Terrell & Cheryl
Barbara & Keo

Barbara & Keo were eliminated.
Poor Keo. Another early exit. Sigh.

librarianintx

No comments: