Sunday, February 26, 2023

The Frustration of Contraindications in My Health

I'm not sure if contraindications is necessarily the correct terminology here. 

What I am referring to is that taking one medicine is helpful for one condition but could make another situation worse. 

And one exercise is beneficial for one condition but detrimental to another. 

Two examples:

My thyroid medicine is necessary is for my hypothyroidism, but too much thyroid medicine can exacerbate my osteoporosis.

Strength training exercises are helpful for at least maintaining bone density, but these exercises can further weaken pelvic floor muscles. Both conditions can worsen as you age. 

Sigh. 

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. 

My endocrinologist monitors my TSH levels (thyroid) and I get a DEXA (bone density scan) once a year. My thyroid levels are steady. My bone density is dropping, but I am on medications, supplements, and an exercise regiment to at least slow or hopefully halt the bone loss. 

I am doing both strength training and pelvic floor exercises. I don't know what else to do. 

In the case of the thyroid / bone density connection, my doctor informed me of this and laid out the treatment plan. 

In the case of the strength training / pelvic floor exercise conundrum, I read about that online. 

Makes me wonder what else I don't know about when it comes to my health. 

librarianintx

No comments: