Monday, February 20, 2023

Reading

Reading and writing have been my two favorite hobbies for as long as I can remember. 

Last year was tough. 

So was 2021.

And 2020. 

Last year I went through a reading slump. 

It was painful. 

I still achieved my goal of reading 24 books. I actually exceeded my goal - I read 28 books.

I really liked some of the books I read. But I struggled with concentration and making time for reading. 

Reading felt like a chore. 

I absolutely hated that feeling. 

I'm a part of two Facebook groups about books and reading. Plus I join a book club every other week where people talk about what they are reading. 

Often in the Facebook groups there are threads about how many books people read in a year. Invariably those threads devolve into bickering, jealousy, comparisons, and competition. "I read a hundred books last year!" "How nice for you, I only read three, you must think you're better me." "I'm raising four kids alone and have a full-time job; I don't have time to read." "You must be reading kid's books if you're reading two hundred books a year." "I read very long books; that's why I've only read ten this year." The squabbling goes on and on.

Hobbies shouldn't be about competition. 

They should be about enjoyment. 

Read what you want, when you want, for as long as you want (or have time for).

Don't compare your interests in or amounts of reading to anyone else. 

I am coming out of my reading slump. 

I still have my same reading goal for the year, but I'm trying not to focus on it. 

I am taking the time to savor each book, not reading to get through it so I can move on to the next one. 

I'm also taking the time to write a review of each book.

This is what is working (so far) for me. 

I prefer to read when I have enough time to finish a chapter, but I'm learning that I don't have to do that. If I only have a few minutes, I read a few pages. Also, if I try to read and the concentration isn't there, I move on to something else and try not to get frustrated. 

My previous post can apply to hobbies too - "Every Little Bit Helps".

Keeping your mind engaged is part of a healthy lifestyle.

Whatever you like to do, whatever makes you feel fulfilled and energized - do it. Even for a few minutes at a time. 

librarianintx

No comments: