Sunday, February 26, 2023

"Why You Shouldn't Avoid Eating Processed Foods" article and My Thoughts

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/8029985/why-you-shouldnt-avoid-processed-foods-according-to-dietitians/

I think this article is so important. It talks about the difference between "minimally processed" and "ultra-processed" foods.

The bottom line is that some minimally processed foods can actually be healthy. And just as important, minimally processed foods are often cheaper and stay good for months, which cuts down on food waste. 

Some examples of minimally processed foods from the article

canned food

frozen food

chopped fruits and vegetables

microwave rice

Canned and frozen fruits and vegetables can be just as healthy as fresh, and they last much longer. 

The key is to look at the ingredients. Some frozen vegetables have a cream sauce or frozen fruits have added sugar. Canned vegetables often have added salt, and canned fruit might be in heavy syrup. So when you are choosing frozen or canned food, look at the ingredients and the nutrition information, and pick items that are as minimally processed as possible. 

The other thing I think you should look for, which the article doesn't mention, is BPA-free cans. 

I was very happy to read this article. I am trying to eat healthier, but my appetite is small, so often fresh food goes bad because I can't eat it fast enough. 

One thing I struggle with, though, is my own advice about BPA-free cans. Some vegetables, specifically peas and carrots, I prefer canned rather than frozen because they are softer. But I haven't been able to buy peas and carrots in BPA-free cans. So I break my own rule here. Green beans are available in BPA-free cans now, why not peas and carrots? 

Another thing I struggle with is salt. I do NOT like sodium-free canned vegetables. I do NOT like no-salt beans. I just can't eat them. I have tried adding other seasonings. I guess I'm not using the right combination of spices. So I don't buy sodium free canned goods. For now. 

When I make beans in my Instant Pot, I don't add salt until I eat a portion, and I try to keep it to a small amount. 

So just to recap, canned and frozen food ARE good for you! Make sure you read the labels and buy the items that are minimally processed, without added sugar or salt (if you can, which I can't yet on the salt) :) And choose BPA-free cans when you can. 

ETA: Also, when it comes to cost, canned or frozen can sometimes be cheaper. An important example of this is a protein - salmon. Fresh salmon can be pricey, and you have to prepare and consume it quickly, unless you freeze it. But you can buy salmon in a pouch or a can for significantly less money, and it is just as good for you. Chicken also comes in a can or pouch, but the consistency is different from freshly cooked chicken, plus it has added salt. I prefer rotisserie chicken, but I don't mind canned chicken.

librarianintx

No comments: