Wednesday, February 01, 2023

Plan for Emergencies

I've been a worrier for most of my life.

I'm learning that there's two kinds of worrying:
Useful and useless worrying

Useful worrying helps you plan ahead, be resourceful, and can keep you safe in an emergency. 

I'm figuring out that I did some things right and some things wrong during our current power outage due to an ice storm.

The main thing I want to talk about is food. I ordered and received a food delivery at the beginning of the situation. So we have food. But I needed to think more about me being a person with a disability. 

I am very lucky to have a roommate, and he helps me whenever I need assistance. I'm mostly self-sufficient, but in this case, I needed more help than usual, because I can't use a manual can opener. I also can't open pull top cans. Over the years I have crossed my fingers, held my breath, and purchased a number of gadgets that promised they could easily open jars, soda cans, and pull top cans.

Nope.

Not for me, anyway.

So next time, just in case I'm alone, I need to think about non-perishable food that I can open. 

Here are some ideas (I have a few of them):
Crackers,, including peanut butter crackers and cheese crackers
Breakfast bars, granola bars, and meal replacement bars
Fruits and vegetables that are packaged in single-serving disposable containers with plastic lids that peel off. Examples: peas, corn, peaches, fruit cocktail 
More foods these days are available in pouches. Examples: tuna, salmon, refried beans, peanut butter, and almond butter
I don't eat cold cereal, but those come in single serving options now, so having a few is a good idea

Chips are a favorite food group for me :) but if they are in my apartment, I will overindulge and won't have any left for emergencies, so scratch that.

Same with cookies, brownies, sweets...

I'm trying to focus on at least somewhat healthy food here! :)

So we will get through it.

Tomorrow the ice will be gone.

And hopefully power restored. 

With every tough situation,  lessons are learned. 

librarianintx 

No comments: