Sunday, February 19, 2023

When the Power Goes Out - Article and My Thoughts

 https://www.rd.com/article/how-long-can-food-last-in-fridge-without-power/

This is a very good article about what to do when the power goes out, ways to keep your food in the fridge and freezer safer for longer, how you know when food is bad, and what foods might be safe to keep after an outage. 

Bottom line: "When in doubt, THROW IT OUT!"

People are often hesitant to throw out an entire fridge and freezer worth of food, because of waste and the expense of food. But as the article wisely stated, you could end up spending a lot more on a hospital bill or losing wages due to the inability to work while dealing with food poisoning. 

I have health conditions and am underweight, so I fear food poisoning more than your average person. I am extra careful to avoid eating or drinking something that might make me sick. It sometimes drives the people around me crazy, but that's the reason I'm hypervigilant. "Praying to the porcelain gods" could be dangerous for me.

My roommate and I lost power for nearly three days during a recent ice storm. We left some nuts and mustard in the refrigerator. Everything else went in the trash. 

A few points I want to emphasize (only one is in the article):

I have heard it's not safe to put food in a box outside even in below freezing weather.

If you are lucky enough to find other accommodations during the power outage, ask your electric company about text alerts, so you can find out when the power is restored. 

Do not taste test food or drinks to check for safety. Even a small amount of spoiled food or liquid can make you sick. Check the smell and the appearance of the food. If you have any doubt, throw it out.

If you have renter's insurance, read the policy. You may not have to do a lot of work to get money for lost food. Check to see if a deductible applies. If you don't have renter's insurance - get it. It's like $10 a month. 

If the outage was city-wide, food distribution centers might be set up. My city did this. It took a few days, but the food bank offered several drive-up locations where they gave away non-perishable and some perishable food like produce. If you need to, take advantage of that. And get in line early. If you don't have a car, or don't drive, ask for help from a friend or neighbor. Call the city to see if they are making accommodations for older people / people with disabilities. 

If food leaked in the fridge or freezer, be sure to clean thoroughly. I had put fruit in plastic bags in the freezer, and the strawberries leaked all over the freezer. Good times! Luckily, since I waited until the freezer was cold again, the juice froze and was easy to remove. Then I scrubbed the floor of the freezer with a soapy scrub pad. It looked like a daunting task, but it was surprisingly easy. And hey, the freezer sure looks nice and clean now. :)

The article talked about making extra bags of ice in preparation for a power outage. In addition to that, consider eating your refrigerated food first, to lessen the chance of waste. I'm talking about before the power goes out, so you still have the ability to cook / reheat food. 

librarianintx


No comments: