Sunday, February 19, 2023

Rihanna's Superbowl Halftime Performance - My Thoughts

Nearly a week late, but I'm throwing my two cents in anyway. 

Most importantly: I am a fan of Rihanna's music.

I have a playlist of my favorite songs of hers. 

For me, the problem had more to do with my expectations. 

My favorite and memorable Superbowl halftime shows have been spectacles.

They have had most of these elements:

big productions

costume changes 

set changes

special guests

dancing

stunts / acrobatics

Rihanna's performance ticked some of those boxes. 

It was a big production.

There was dancing - but very little by Rihanna. 

There was a special guest - her baby bump

Live singing - the jury is out on that one. 

I am impressed by what she did do. Singing twelve songs while that high in the air and pregnant is quite an accomplishment. I honestly don't know how much of the singing was live. There were a lot of far away camera angles, plus she covered her mouth at times, so the allegations of lip syncing are unfortunately valid. If she sang every song, props to her and apologies.

The moving stages were visually impressive. I liked all the dancers, although I didn't love their costumes, or Rihanna's. Someone said the dancers looked like tampons, and Rihanna was the spot of blood on the tampons. Not a good description for a Superbowl visual. 

Unfortunately, I just kept waiting for something to happen. A set change, a costume change, a guest to appear...I believed something more exciting was coming at any moment. But nothing ever did. I had been spoiled by Madonna, JLo, Shakira, Katy Perry, and Lady Gaga in previous Superbowl performances. Even though rap isn't my favorite type of music, I enjoyed last year's Superbowl halftime with Dr. Dre, Snoop Dog, Eminem, Mary J. Blige, Kendrick Lamar and 50 Cent, because it was that big production / multiple sets / guests / (mostly) live singing that I expect and want in a Superbowl Halftime performance. I say mostly last year because apparently 50 Cent wasn't singing live. 

So yes, I was disappointed when I watched the first time. Because I expected something more. When I watched it a second time, I enjoyed it more. Because I appreciated it for what it was and didn't focus on what it wasn't. 

Although I was unhappy that she didn't sing my favorite Rihanna song: "Please Don't Stop the Music".

librarianintx


 


No comments: