Friday, February 17, 2023

Article about Dietician-Approved Grocery List - How Am I doing?

 This Dietitian-Approved Grocery List Will Ensure You’re Stocked With Healthy and Versatile Foods (yahoo.com)

The article breaks the grocery list into groups:

Group #1 Produce

I am most successful in the berry category. I need to be eating them every day though. I like strawberries and blueberries. I don't care for raspberries and blackberries.

I finally bought baby spinach week before last. But it takes me a long time to eat even a small bag.

I like mushrooms but they go bad so fast. 

I eat peaches and pears - are they citrus fruits? 

Group #2 Protein

I eat a good amount of beans, eggs, and quinoa. 

I eat salmon twice a week. 

I also eat almond butter but need to add walnuts to my diet. 

I eat chicken and occasionally turkey. I eat very little meat. 

Group #3 Bread and Pasta

 I eat too much bread, and while it is wheat bread, it is not whole wheat. 

I also eat rye bread, but both have sugar and are not especially healthy. 

On the positive side in this category, I have switched to whole wheat pasta. 

Group #4 Dairy

I eat cheese and drink milk pretty much every day. 

I like yogurt and cottage cheese, but I don't eat them much. 

When I do eat yogurt, it is not unsweetened. Bad me. 

Group #5 Snacks and desserts

Unfortunately, I excel in this category. :(

I have a sweet tooth and I love salty snacks.

Bad for someone with poor circulation who is also chronically dehydrated AND has an inner ear disorder.

In my defense, I am consuming less sugar. Nowadays I eat a Kind breakfast bar or an Enjoy Life bar as my sugary snack. I rarely eat baked goods like cookies or brownies. My afternoon snack used to be angel food cake slathered in Nutella. Now are you proud of me? :) When I have the time and energy I make my own muffins with no refined sugar.

When it comes to salty snacks, my go-to lately are tortilla chips. I tried the Whisps that were mentioned in the article - the cheddar ones were VERY cheesy for me. Maybe I'll try another flavor. They are also quite expensive. Chips of any kind are so dangerous. When I have them in my apartment, I try to portion them out so I don't eat half the bag. 

So my goals are:

more fruits and vegetables

more leafy greens

more walnuts

less sugar and salt

more cooking

and MORE WATER!!

librarianintx

No comments: