Sunday, October 29, 2023

Dancing with the Stars: Latin Night

I know I'm weeks behind, but determined to catch up.

Luckily, I enjoyed Latin Night more than the first week of competition. I think everyone improved at least a little. And I loved the music - Bad Bunny, Daddy Yankee, Shakira, and Ricky Martin to name a few. I like the Latin dances better than ballroom.

My two favorites so far are Xochitl and Ariana, with Jason a close third. I completely agree with Carrie Ann - I saw Rita Morena (and a tinge of "West Side Story") in Xochitl's performance. I love how seemingly comfortable Xochitl and Ariana are with their bodies, and the musicality they embodied in their routines. 

My scores were in line with the judges, but I felt differently about two of the dances. I gave Ariana and Pasha a higher score than the judges did: an 8 from me, with 7's from Derek and Bruno and a 6 from Carrie Ann. I understand that they are the professionals and I am not. I loved Ariana's sensuality and I thought she had a good Samba bounce and rhythm. 

With regard to Alyson and Sasha's Tango - our scores were similar, but the judges liked the dance more than I did. Compared to the other dances, which were more fun and sexy, I found this Tango too stiff and emotionless. I understand that Alyson couldn't joke her way through this performance, but I found it rather boring. 

I do not agree with who went home. Jamie Lynn's Cha Cha was more perky than sexy. She looked like a high school cheerleader more than a ballroom dancer. But she was not the worst of the night. No one was terrible in my opinion, but despite nice lifts and decent hip action, Mauricio struggled to recover from an apparent mid-routine memory lapse. We should have been saying goodbye to him. 

Looking forward to Motown night!

librarianintx

No comments: