Sunday, October 22, 2023

Sources for free or reduced price books

Most people look forward to Fridays, and I do too.

But one of my favorite times of the week is Thursdays around 10 pm.

That's when I get the e-mail that lists the free "Hourly History" books for the week.

Hourly History publishes short books on a ton of historical people and time periods. 

If you sign up for their weekly e-mails, they will send you a list of about ten books that are offered free on Kindle. 

If I even think I might be interested, I get the book.

Why not - it's free! And they are e-books, so they aren't stacking up in my apartment.

Hourly History books are between 30 - 60 pages usually, and are designed to be a brief overview of a person's life or time period. I have read 12 Hourly History books so far. Some examples: Mary Todd Lincoln, Queen Mary I, Amelia Earhart, President John F. Kennedy, and Marie Antoinette. Here's the link if you want to sign up: https://hourlyhistory.com 

I like Hourly History books because they are interesting and short reads. The idea is that one can be read in an hour's time, but I don't read that fast.

Amazon has a plethora of Hourly History books. The ones that aren't free are usually $2.99.

Here are some other ideas for free or reduced price books:

Your public library! (says the librarian). Of course, you can't keep those, but they are free to borrow.

Freebooksy: https://www.freebooksy.com/ This is another site where they will send an e-mail (in this case daily), but not just for Kindle books. The majority of these books are free. I have found a few books this way.

Book Bub: https://www.bookbub.com/ - very low prices on e-books - also a daily e-mail.

Bargain Booksy: https://www.bargainbooksy.com/ - e-books for $5 or less. Also a daily e-mail.

Thriftbooks: www.thriftbooks.com - a site that sells print books in various formats (hardcover, paperback, mass market paperback) plus audio books, collectible books, movies, music, video games, and more at good prices. You can also choose the condition of the item: like new, very good, good, acceptable, and new. New items are going to be regular price. 

librarianintx

No comments: