Saturday, October 07, 2023

Ageism Awareness Day

https://www.asaging.org/ageism-awareness

October 7th is Ageism Awareness Day

Ageism is as insidious as racism, sexism, ableism and other forms of discrimination. 

Older people can and are productive, active, contributing members of society. 

Modern medicine and good lifestyle choices such as eating well, exercising, sleeping well, and taking care of your mental and emotional health can keep people living longer and prevent chronic conditions.

If you are an older person, live well, stay active, keep learning, and be a role model.

If you are a younger person, don't buy in to and promote stereotypes and negative attitudes toward older adults. 

I am an older adult. 

I am learning Spanish and sign language and how to sight read braille.

I play Connections, Wordle, and Blossom every day.

I try to exercise and eat healthy every day. 

I use a rollator and a shower chair and I have a cane. My assistive devices help me stay safe and active. No one should be ridiculed or teased for needing assistive devices. I hate entertainment that includes negative depictions and stereotypes of older adults. That includes the "over the hill" / "old person" gag gifts and greeting cards. They are insulting. 

Aging can be challenging, but it's also something to be grateful for. 

We are given time to develop, grow, learn, succeed.

We are given the opportunity to be both a witness to, and an active participant in, history.

And we are privileged to watch future generations follow in our footsteps. 

#reframingaging

#bethechange

librarianintx



No comments: