Monday, May 07, 2018

This Past Weekend

"Accept challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory." George S. Patton

This quote was the epitome of my weekend, on a small scale.

For the past several weeks I have been dealing with another inner ear flare up. This occurs nearly every spring. Inner ear disorders often come to life during peak allergy season. I have not tested high enough to need allergy shots, but I have noticed that when the mold counts are soaring, that is when I'm suffering the most.

Inner ear disorders can cause a myriad of uncomfortable and often disabling physical and emotional symptoms. Nearly every spring I struggle with making it to work and social engagements due to some combination of vertigo, fatigue, nausea, dizziness, headaches, anxiety, and other ailments. It is a frustrating, exhausting, debilitating disorder, with no cure, although certain medications and in some cases physical therapy, including eye and head movement exercises, can help.

This weekend I had a rather full schedule on tap, and I wondered how, or if, I would be able to make it to any of my planned activities.

But what I have learned this season in particular, is that I can be the boss of this disorder. I can manage this illness and not let it take over my life. I'm not saying that I won't ever have to call in sick to work or change my plans because of how I'm feeling. That is still going to happen, unfortunately. But I can have the upper hand more than I think I'm able to.

This weekend was a challenge. But I was able to do everything on my schedule. On Saturday I attended the memorial service of a co-worker's father. I went out to dinner afterward with another co-worker / friend. I enjoyed a rejuvenating manicure and pedicure. On Sunday I volunteered at a chorus concert and listened to the beautiful music. Later I had a friend over for dinner and a television show. I was able to eat, ride in cars, sit in church pews, walk down uneven streets, talk to people, cook, and through it all manage any uncomfortable symptoms that reared their ugly heads.

I did not have to cancel my weekend.
I did not have to lament and rail against two days of missed opportunities to enjoy life.
I was able to celebrate tiny victories.
I am very grateful for that.

librarianintx


No comments: