Friday, May 25, 2018

Thirty Day Writing Challenge: My Morning Commute

I have discussed my commute to and from work frequently in my occasional blog series, "The Be On Time Chronicles."

My morning is similar to anyone's work day up to a point:
The alarm goes off (in my case, three alarms go off)
I eventually leave the bed.
I shower, dress, comb my hair, do my skin care routine, put on shoes and jewelry.
I pack my lunch bag, and don my sweater and work badge. In the winter, I add a coat and gloves.

That's where the similarity ends.
Instead of sliding into my car, walking to a bus stop, or carpooling with a friend or co-worker, I wait for my city's para-transit vehicle to arrive.

Sometimes I don't have to wait at all, because the vehicle is early.
More often, I'm waiting awhile....sometimes thirty minutes or longer.
My work day starts at 8:30 a.m.
But I have to be ready for my ride by 6:45 a.m.

I do various things while I wait:
Check Facebook or e-mail on my phone
Read on my phone
Play games on my phone
Shop on my phone
Look for new recipes on my phone
Do dishes
Hang up clothes or fold jackets
Lay out clothes for the next day
Journal
Go through mail
Take medicine
Go to the bathroom again

No matter what I'm doing, I have to stop continuously and look out the window.
The driver has a thirty minute window to pick me up: 6:45 - 7:15.
But no matter when they arrive during that window, I only have five minutes to board the vehicle, or they can leave without me.
So I have to be watchful.
And hope they aren't parked where I can't see them.

An UBER ride costs about $25 if I miss the para-transit ride.

Once I enter the vehicle, I become a part of the culture of that particular transit experience. The driver might be cheerful and chatty, or sullen and quiet. The other passengers could be either or as well. Some are sick, tired, cranky, and prone to complaining. Some are outgoing, morning people, and full of sunshine and conversation. Some are mentally or emotionally challenged and have no filter. Some love Jesus and have to praise him loudly. One or two of them feel the need to put their hands on you.

Sometimes I ride for 20 minutes. More likely I travel for an hour or more. Reading in the car can be a challenge, and watching Netflix on my phone can induce motion sickness. Audio books and Spotify music are my go-to ways to pass the time. If we have to wait for 15 minutes or more for another passenger, I have been known to journal or write a note to someone. Whatever I can do to be more productive and less frustrated.

This is the start to my work day.

librarianintx

No comments: