Tuesday, May 22, 2018

"Dancing with the Stars" Athletes Edition Week 3

Yep, I'm a week behind.
But I'm still doing a recap.

Guest judge: David Ross
Mentors:
Nastia Liukin
Von Miller
Meryl Davis

Round One: Individual dances

1) Mirai and Alan
Quickstep
She doesn't need extra dancers!!
It was an extra quick, flashy, sparkly Quickstep. They flew all over that dance floor. It was glitzy, glamorous, she had great footwork and a great frame.
She's a star.
The routine was very Hollywood, very Broadway, and very entertaining.
David: "You are a boss!"
Len: "You mean business, but you lost your posture"
Bruno: "firefly in full flight, perfect timing"
Carrie Ann: "She did very well (spoken in Japanese to Mirai's mother), fantastic"
Scores: 9, 9, 8, 9
My score: 10

2) Jennie and Keo
Viennese Waltz
She's a country girl and she danced to a country song that she really likes, so you could tell she was comfortable and more connected to the dance and the music this week. I don't know if it was the song or the choreography, but this dance did not have the fluidity that I'm used to seeing in a Viennese Waltz. It was too choppy; the movement was cut off in places. They didn't sweep across the floor. It was okay, it was pretty, but it wasn't a proper Viennese Waltz to me.
Len: "ease and elegance, needed more fluidity and bars in hold"
Bruno: "you're relaxed and trusting your partner more, some balance problems"
Carrie Ann: "I love the joy, you're growing, storytelling:
David: "super impressive"
Scores: 7, 8, 7, 7
My score: 8

3) Chris and Witney
Foxtrot
Extra dancers - ugh!
Except for his mom at the end - that was sweet.
Witney did pull out all the stops for this number.
He was suave, debonair, with good partnering skills.
Witney's leap off the piano into his arms was very exciting.
He had a good frame too.
It was an enjoyable routine.
Bruno: "razzle dazzle, so dashing"
Carrie Ann: "show stopper, well done Mom, but there was a lift!"
David: "great catch, loved the routine"
Len: "not a lot of rhythm in the beginning, but full of entertainment overall"
Scores; 8, 9, 7, 9
My score; 9

4) Tanya and Sasha
Rumba
Tanya is known for her power and her strength. I didn't feel the sexiness or sensuality that I usually feel in a Rumba. It was a lovely dance, but not enough hip action, not enough body contact. The ending was a little awkward too. But I'm still rooting for you, Tanya (and voting).
Carrie Ann: "danced with your heart; we're all in your corner"
David: "very inspiring and emotional"
Len: "light and shade, needed more hip action"
Bruno: "improvement in your lines"
Scores: 8, 9, 8, 8
My score: 8

5) Adam and Jenna
Contemporary
"I know why the caged bird sings"
It was a wonderful routine - sensual, beautiful lines, there is such a connection between these two.
But I thought they were in the cage for too long, and that frustration made me like the dance less.
Overall, though, it was lovely, emotional, spiritual, ethereal
David: "beautiful, so connected"
Len: "loved the emotion, control with flair"
Bruno: "two birds of paradise, can't tell who's the professional"
Carrie Ann: "pure perfection"
Scores: 10, 10, 9, 10
My score: 9

6) Josh and Sharna
Contemporary
WOW!!
This routine had everything that I look for in a Contemporary dance:
sensuality
connectedness
beautiful lines
amazing lifts
It had more fluidity and movement than Adam and Jenna's dance did.
Josh showed fantastic control, strength, partnering skills, and gentleness.
It was breathtaking.
Len: "beautiful fluidity; lifts were seamless"
Bruno: "strong, assured, confident, impressive lifts"
Carrie Ann: "sure-footedness, confident, you're on fire"
David: "smooth, beautiful, elegant"
Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9
My score: 10

Round Two: Side by Side Dance-Offs

1) Tanya and Sasha vs Jennie and Keo
Mentor: Nastia
Cha Cha
It's hard for me to judge the dance offs when they dance side by side. I like it better when they take turns.
I thought they were pretty even through much of the dance, but toward the end Tanya and Sasha had more speed, fluidity, and content.
I give the edge to Tanya and Sasha.
Carrie Ann: Tanya and Sasha
David: Jennie and Keo
Len: Tanya and Sasha
Bruno: Tanya and Sasha
America: Jennie and Keo
So Tanya and Sasha get the points.

2) Mirai and Alan vs Adam and Jenna
Mentor: Meryl
Jive
Oh my goodness, this is SO hard!
They are both SO awesome!
I give the edge to Mirai and Alan. Mirai's kicks and flicks were stronger, and she and Alan had more exciting lifts and tricks.
Carrie Ann: Adam and Jenna
David: Mirai and Alan
Len: Mirai and Alan
Bruno: Adam and Jenna
America: Adam and Jenna
So Adam and Jenna get the points.

3) Chris and Witney vs Josh and Sharna
Mentor: Von
Salsa
That was so much fun to watch!
Len might not like the shirts being ripped off, but I definitely do, and so does Bruno. :)
I think Josh has more natural rhythm and hip action, but I certainly enjoyed Chris' attempt.
I give the edge to Josh and Sharna
Carrie Ann: Chris and Witney
David: Josh and Sharna
Len: Josh and Sharna
Bruno: Josh and Sharna
America: Chris and Witney
So Josh and Sharna get the points.

Elimination:
WHAT?!?!?!
Mirai didn't make the finals?!?!?
Travesty!!
She absolutely deserved to be there, and she had a very good chance of winning.
That is just so wrong.
But I have to take responsibility to a certain extent.
I voted for Tanya to make it. I didn't vote for anyone else.
I wanted to Tanya to make it to the finals.
But she doesn't deserve to be there over Mirai.
Mirai is a better dancer.
But Josh is great too, and I'm happy that he and Sharna will dance again.
This is so difficult!
I can't believe the season is almost over!

librarianintx

No comments: