Tuesday, May 08, 2018

"Dancing with the Stars" Athletes Edition Week 2 5/8/18

We're already halfway through the season, what?! :-(

But yay for guest judge Rashad Jennings!

Part I: Individual dances

1) Josh and Sharna (football)
Paso Doble
Well, of course I didn't like the extra dancers. Sigh.
Josh had good shaping and lines, which are necessary in a successful Paso. His attack was decent. The problem for me was that I felt he was more running back and forth between dancers rather than actually dancing. It was a step back for me this week. He's still super hot though.
Rashad: "you took control"
Len: "equally good Paso"
Bruno: "going for total domination - but need to sustain lines"
Carrie Ann: "grounded, effective, passionate"
Scores: 7, 7, 8, 8
My score: 7

2) Jennie and Keo (softball)
Cha Cha
She really tried, but the latin dances are not going to be her thing. I think she's a country girl at heart, and this R&B song was not her vibe. I wonder what song she ultimately refused to dance to. She didn't get down and dirty; she basically just went through the steps. There was musicality, but the feeling wasn't there; there was no connection to the music or the routine. She didn't get her groove on. It was way too safe. And there were extra dancers. Ugh.
Len: "competent performance, but lacked rhythm and lost timing"
Bruno: "off timing"
Carrie Ann: "didn't have a strong connection to the music"
Rashad: "performed well"
Scores: 6, 7, 7, 6
My score; 6

3) Kareem and Lindsay (basketball)
Salsa
His father was a dancer, so this performance was an homage to him. At times Kareem was better than last week. He still stood there for part of the dance and let the EXTRA DANCERS salsa around him. But there was improvement. There were some basic latin steps. Very basic. Unfortunately, the man has no hips to shake. But I think he did his best, and that's all he can do. The man is 71 years old, 7 foot tall, and has no meat on his bones. The music was great, and huge kudos to the fearless team of Haley and Lindsay! Lindsay was on Haley's shoulders for part of the dance, and Haley was hidden under Lindsay's skirt, dancing completely blind. So imaginative, and dangerous!
Bruno: "clever, well constructed"
Carrie Ann: "lovely tribute to your father - you shimmied!"
Rashad: "father is proud"
Len: "far more content and rhythm"
Scores: 7, 7, 6, 6
My score: 6

4) Chris and Witney (luge)
Viennese Waltz
Chris showed off some very good partnering skills in this routine! He looked like a leading man. They had a very good flow of movement around the floor. His frame wasn't great and his footwork looked a little sloppy to me at times. But he had some very nice lines. When the lights weren't blinding me, I thought it was a lovely, mostly successful dance.
Carrie Ann: "so impressed, nuanced, finesse"
Rashad: "amazing, good heel leads"
Len: "good sway in hold, competent"
Bruno: "leading man, waltzing heartthrob"
Scores: 9, 8, 8, 8
My score: 7

Am I cranky tonight?

5) Tanya and Sasha (skating)
Quickstep
I am cranky no more!
Holy cow, what a Quickstep!
Way to go Tanya!
She had energy and personality out the ying yang from the moment the dance started, and she did not wane through the entire routine!
I'm so impressed!
I could tell that she was totally feeling that song!
Great speed and footwork - outstanding!
The bear was super annoying, but otherwise, I loved the performance!
Rashad: "loved it - showing the world a whole new chapter in your life"
Len: "liked the energy - felt good"
Bruno: "great fun, high energy, didn't lose the timing"
Carrie Ann: "strength, powerful"
Scores: 8, 9, 8, 8
My score; 9

6) Mirai and Alan (skating)
Foxtrot
OMG, she is amazing!
That was a wonderful Foxtrot!
She looked like a princess - The dress, the jewelry, her hair and makeup - stunning!
The extra dancers were completely unnecessary.
She was floating across the floor.
Perfect lines, beautiful frame, so much musicality
FLAWLESS
Perfection on Week 2!
Len: "best dance so far"
Bruno: "gorgeous, radiant, fairytale princess"
Carrie Ann: "gorgeous"
Rashad: "great, graceful, peaceful"
Scores: 9, 10, 9, 9
My score: 10!

7) Arike and Gleb (basketball)
Foxtrot
Yay, she looked like a real dancer this week - lovely dress and heels!
Her frame was very good.
You can tell that she is still trying to find her footing.
Not as much movement as a typical Foxtrot.
And I thought Gleb's choreography was a little lazy at the end.
But I love the song.
Overall I saw improvement from last week.
Bruno: "posture was much better"
Carrie Ann: "magic, powerful"
Rashad: "performed under pressure"
Len: "fantastic footwork"
Scores: 8, 9, 8, 8
My score: 7 (almost an 8)

8) Adam and Jenna (skating)
Quickstep
The routine was a little short because it took them awhile to start dancing. Still lots of flash and panache, great speed and a good frame. A solid Quickstep. Overall this performance was a little less exciting for me because I wasn't as big a fan of the song as I was last week. But Adam is definitely still a frontrunner. And there's still amazing chemistry between him and Jenna.
Carrie Ann: "You better work! Tight, in sync, but room for growth"
Rashad: "love the outfit and the chemistry"
Len: "so much content, speed, and clarity of movement"
Bruno: "no messing round or distractions [what he means is no extra dancers, yay!], timing is impeccable"
Scores: 9, 9, 9, 10
My score: 9

Part II: Group dances

1) Team 50's Tennis
Jive
Kareem and Lindsay, Josh and Sharna, Tanya and Sasha, Chris and Witney
Overall cute, but the best parts were when the individual couples danced. They had very good tricks and Jive content.
The group struggled with synchronicity and timing.
And Kareem just standing there at times was glaringly obvious to me.
Len: "tight and together"
Bruno: "witty, imaginative, creative"
Carrie Ann: "felt like a team dance"
Rashad: "had a great time"
Scores: 8, 9, 8, 8
My score: 8

2) Team 70's Football
Disco
Mirai and Alan, Adam and Jenna, Arike and Gleb, Jennie and Keo
I was very impressed!
They were SO tight and together as a group!
And they only had one short rehearsal with Arike!
Amazing!
Really fun too.
I loved the guys' afros!
Jennie and Arike looked surprisingly comfortable.
Great job!
Bruno: "Monday night fever!"
Carrie Ann: "fantastic!"
Rashad: "entertaining"
Len: "loved it!"
Scores: 9, 10, 9, 9
My score: 9

Elimination:
Arike and Gleb and Kareem and Lindsay were sent home.
I think Arike was actually relieved, except for the fact that she is a competitor.
I was relieved to see Kareem go. I was just worried for his safety.

Only two weeks left dance fans!

librarianintx

No comments: